To Upgrade or to not upgrade my stove, that is the question?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

farscape105

Dec 16, 2023
Iowa
Hi, so I know nothing about stoves. I grew up on fireplaces. We have an old double door freestanding Hutch Rebel in our living room. We go through about 3/4 cord a season. I have a custom fit in screen to use it like a fireplace with doors open. We mostly use it for ambiance and to add heat to our sunk in living room. We are having all new Class A stove/chimney pipes installed and wondering if I should upgrade to a modern stove. Also new pipe will have damper flue. Since we don't use it to heat our house, I don't see a pressing reason to upgrade. I love the large firebox and stove in great condition. One thing is that I can't find metal plate with manufacturing info which could cause an issue with insurance companies. But so far in the last 15 years with 3 different companies has not been an issue. Also, I assume even with 8" pipe that down the road might not be too much of issue to upgrade? A friend of my wife commented the stove like we have is mostly used in shops/garage? Why is that? Cost not a big concern, but I assume be pricey to get new with similar size opening/firebox. Thanks for your opinions. Here is pic of stove. Wasn't sure to post in new or old stove thread so did in both.

Wood Stove.jpg

Some reasons to upgrade are:
  • Most new stoves use less expensive 6" flues these days
  • Nice fireview all the time, able to see how the fire is doing without opening the doors
  • Lower wood consumption
  • Much less smoke meaning cleaner air in the neighborhood
  • Easier to insure

Reactions: oilcan1001
If replacing chimney I’d switch to 6 inch and a new stove. Can you take advantage of the tax credit for qualifying stoves?

Thanks, yes I believe I would qualify for tax credit. Here is pic of stove with screen. Again we use it 100% with doors open so efficiency is not a concern. If we did upgrade I would want one with a similar sized opening which is 18" wide by 14" tall.

wood stove 2.jpg

Thanks, yes I believe I would qualify for tax credit. Here is pic of stove with screen. Again we use it 100% with doors open so efficiency is not a concern. If we did upgrade I would want one with a similar sized opening which is 18" wide by 14" tall.

View attachment 320813
Do you want open door burning as an option on the new stove?? Probably not going to find one with that size opening.

Yes, right new stove would want to use with screen open door. One reason we love our existing one it is so big like having a fireplace. It is not an option to install actual fireplace.

Yes, right new stove would want to use with screen open door. One reason we love our existing one it is so big like having a fireplace. It is not an option to install actual fireplace.
Big door equals big stove. Some stoves do not allow operation with the door open. If not want to spend too much look at Drolet stoves.

if it's in good shape and insurance will sign off on it keep it.but 6" is the norm for new chimneys,might screw you for a newer stove down the road if you put in 8"

hey begreen can you reduce from an 8 into a 6",if so op can keep old stove until he's done with it
By code no. Some stoves will work others won't but there is no way it will work with the doors open on 6"

Thanks for everyones replies.
Curious why with 6" pipes you can't run with doors open. I see many modern stoves with 6" have screens as optional equipment?
If I remember right only thing our insurance asked when I said we have wood stove is how far it is from walls. I see there are a few modern stoves that use 8" pipes forpossible future option Big King, etc. but boy that praticular one is expensive.

There is a greater volume of air needed with the doors open. Some stoves will work ok on 6" with the doors closed, but will spill smoke with the doors open.

Thanks for everyones replies.
Curious why with 6" pipes you can't run with doors open. I see many modern stoves with 6" have screens as optional equipment?
If I remember right only thing our insurance asked when I said we have wood stove is how far it is from walls. I see there are a few modern stoves that use 8" pipes forpossible future option Big King, etc. but boy that praticular one is expensive.
Because those stoves are carefully engineered to do so. Yours is not it's meant for 8" so when you reduce it no way you will have enough volume to remove the smoke with the doors open. Why do you want a screen anyway over a nice glass door?

Reactions: bigealta
Nice Glass door is the Way to go.

The only modern stove that I can think of that you can get a screen for is Drolet. Unfortunately the opening won’t be anywhere close to what you have there.

If all you are using it for is ambiance in fireplace mode, I see no reason to upgrade. If you were using it as an actual heating appliance it would definitely be worth an upgrade.

If using as a fireplace and or backup heat I would keep the stove you have. You said you updated your pipe and chimney so you're in good shape.
I have a VC Encore and it came with a screen for open burning which we very rarely do. It does have a large opening with the doors open but it also has andirons to hold the wood in. If I had your stove burning open I'd make andirons, I also can't see how far your hearth extends in front of the stove, might want more protection there.

There is not a large request for this option. We got the screen option for the F3CB. Tried it twice for ambience and then it sat behind the stove collecting dust.

Reactions: bigealta