Looks like more snow on its way

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sully

Feeling the Heat
Oct 28, 2013
Delaware
I am trying to think of a week this winter where I got to see green grass for the full week! There has been a lot of snow and cold days, hopefully this is not the trend for the winters to come but if it is we better start stacking lol. I got all but about 20 smaller rounds split from this weekends haul. Now just need snow to melt for a day so I can stack this wood. I used a splitter vrs my x27. Made the job a lot easier on the body that for sure. Here is pic of the pile ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392114882.583839.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1392114893.732565.jpg
I have to split some more,hopefully tonight. I need to get this stacked take a day to look at it and than find
My next score !

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Let's hope for the light fluffy stuff vs, that heavy icy mess. There are enough pine trees down.
Looks like you're on you're way for future firewood Sully. More to come.

Lookin good sully...what part of the world do you do linewok in?..btw our job gives us acess to just about all the free wood we can handle...try to get in good with the guys in line clearance so you know where they are workin..and what they are cuttn...:)

i guess i'm the odd man out,,, I want it to snow all winter. I like snow. It will be cold anyway,,,so why be ugly brown outside when you can be shiny white? I live to get up early and be the first person to put tracks down the unplowed road. everything i own is 4x4,,even my tractors.

nice looking wood pile!

i guess i'm the odd man out,,, I want it to snow all winter. I like snow. It will be cold anyway,,,so why be ugly brown outside when you can be shiny white? I live to get up early and be the first person to put tracks down the unplowed road. everything i own is 4x4,,even my tractors.

nice looking wood pile!

Ditto . . . love the snow . . . last few years have been disappointing in terms of snow and lack of sledding.

This Winter is starting to get to me......I've had my fill. Looks like another run out to the Oak stacks

This Winter is starting to get to me......I've had my fill. Looks like another run out to the Oak stacks
you would still burn wood if the snow wasn't here,,,, get a snow hobby. That fixes it and makes you wish for snow.

Right now I am contemplating building skis for my ultralight so I can take off on a snowed in runway. I also snowshoe.

It's the cold, and the work to move snow at home, and at work....getting older and starting to feel it.

Lookin good sully...what part of the world do you do linewok in?..btw our job gives us acess to just about all the free wood we can handle...try to get in good with the guys in line clearance so you know where they are workin..and what they are cuttn...:)
In Delaware, we did pretty good on last storm. 4 days and and outages were restored. Every split I have has taken power out or has been cleared from lines. Got to love it !!

Reactions: splitoak
If you don't have some kind of a shed this winter is probably convincing you that you need one.

I am trying to think of a week this winter where I got to see green grass for the full week! There has been a lot of snow and cold days, hopefully this is not the trend for the winters to come but if it is we better start stacking lol. I got all but about 20 smaller rounds split from this weekends haul. Now just need snow to melt for a day so I can stack this wood. I used a splitter vrs my x27. Made the job a lot easier on the body that for sure. Here is pic of the pile View attachment 127174View attachment 127175
I have to split some more,hopefully tonight. I need to get this stacked take a day to look at it and than find
My next score !
you have green grass under the snow?

It's the cold, and the work to move snow at home, and at work....getting older and starting to feel it.
+1
This is what is getting me into burning. Tired of leaving the house at 62 but more tired of paying $4 for a gallon of oil. Got the insert. Just got 2 cord of split wood delivered. Need to get it stacked. Going to be building a shed to store it in over the summer so we should be go to go next winter. Maybe add some additional insulation to the house also thinking about getting an energy audit. Already planning on my wood for the 2015/2016 burning season.

+1
This is what is getting me into burning. Tired of leaving the house at 62 but more tired of paying $4 for a gallon of oil. Got the insert. Just got 2 cord of split wood delivered. Need to get it stacked. Going to be building a shed to store it in over the summer so we should be go to go next winter. Maybe add some additional insulation to the house also thinking about getting an energy audit. Already planning on my wood for the 2015/2016 burning season.
I air sealed and blew In insulation last month in the attic. The difference in the house was amazing. Although I have woke up a few times since than because I was to hot.

Let it snow! I love winter to be winter. Not that one day 50 degree and the next 25 degree garbage. Nothing but brown, grey, mud & ice. I'll take 10 degrees and snow any day.

buy a new snowmobile, get warmer cloths,,,that will let you lose the urge to move the snow,,,but to wish for more more instead! :)

Live up to your sig! It is a good plan. I am 57, and I play with the young guys outside in the snow. I figure I have 20 years left to live,,,max,,,not gonna slow down now! Sleep when you're dead.

I see people in their 40's that are older then me.

Come to ohio for a vacation,,,I'll take you for a ride in my ultralight,,,AKA a flying lawnchair. It'll make your blood run faster....make you grin when you are back on the ground:cool:

Reactions: Beer Belly
Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!!

I live in the second driest state and we are currently at maybe 80% of normal snow pack after our latest storm system, with our reservoirs sitting at about 35% capacity. If it doesn't snow and snow A LOT we will be showering with baby wipes by June.
I can't grow my garden or get good fruit with water restrictions in place.

Besides, it is generally warmer when it snows. It's those clear starry nights that bring on the painful cold; or those valley inversions that trap the cold, trap the pollution and bring about the burn restrictions. The snow clears the inversions as well.

Boy you're really going gangbusters still Sully! But like you said it is right in your lap so take it....I admire you guys that continue to gather even in the snow; unless something falls in my lap I don't go looking for it and just burn and sell a little in the Winter. But come March/April I'm back out there at it scrounging and splitting until around mid-December.

But if I had access to it like you fellas I'm sure some would find it's way home with me!

I air sealed and blew In insulation last month in the attic. The difference in the house was amazing. Although I have woke up a few times since than because I was to hot.

Is there such a thing as too much insulation? Exactly what i am planning on doing just not sure how thick to go with it. If you do not mind can you tell me what air seal is?

Is there such a thing as too much insulation? Exactly what i am planning on doing just not sure how thick to go with it. If you do not mind can you tell me what air seal is?
Before I insulated I went up and lifted all the old insulation and filled all the gaps with foam and around wires lights etc, if you do a search on google for air sealing attics you will see exactly what I did. Just look for dirty insulation and I can guarantee you there is a gap letting tons of air through it right underneath that spot.

I'm no expert on insulation to say if there is a to much limit. I just went for what was recommended in my zone. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392138496.832474.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1392138508.750778.jpg

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.