Loose door gasket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drewmo

Feeling the Heat
Nov 20, 2006
Topsham, ME
On occasion, a portion of the door gasket hangs after opening the door. I kinda just poke it back into the channel and close the door. The PE is on its second season, is it normal for gaskets to release so quickly? At this point, what is the best option?

1) Re-cement the portion that is loose
2) Pull the whole gasket, clean channel and replace with the same gasket
3) Pull, clean and replace with new gasket

No, it is not normal for thew gasket to release like that, ever.
Get some high temp silicone, squirt some in the channel behind the loose gasket, set gasket in place, shut door and let set for 24 hours. Good to go.

Reactions: Dix
What Hogs said.

Worst case scenario, getta hold of Tom, The Chimney Sweep, and get a new one delivered, and be ready to go.

No, it is not normal for thew gasket to release like that, ever.
Get some high temp silicone, squirt some in the channel behind the loose gasket, set gasket in place, shut door and let set for 24 hours. Good to go.

Is this something I can do when the stove is hot, or does it need to be cold?

On occasion, a portion of the door gasket hangs after opening the door. I kinda just poke it back into the channel and close the door. The PE is on its second season, is it normal for gaskets to release so quickly? At this point, what is the best option?

1) Re-cement the portion that is loose
2) Pull the whole gasket, clean channel and replace with the same gasket
3) Pull, clean and replace with new gasket

1) Sure

2) Also an option, but I wouldn't bother putting the old one back in

3) Yes if the gasket is beat up. If it's not I'd start with #1.

I always do mine cold. Def not hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.