Lopi 520 Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NEW2W00D

Mar 25, 2009
Sierra Nevadas
I have the same Lopi someone else posted... I am re-using their picture.
I actually don't have the secondary baffle in mine either, and recently I had my doors re-roped.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/ind...16249_m7KvVfumI5Xh30zzchS8&thumb=1&board_id=1
(From this thread: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/27751/P22/#296504)

I have a couple questions.

1. Where can I get the blower or dual blower setup for it?

2. How many sq.ft was this stove made to heat?

3. I have a damper about 8" or so above my stove... when should I utilize this? It's my thought that after 10-15 minutes of putting new wood on I close it off, and then adjust the air flow with the rod under the stove. The wife thinks it should be left open all the time, it seems to me that closing it forces it to burn more of the smoke and keeps the heat in more... she claims it makes more heat w/it open and I just tell her the wood is burning faster thats why.

4. What is a good thermometer for me to put on and measure my temps? And where is a good place to put it on this stove or flue?

5. Every few mornings or so after it's died down almost all the way I get a crackle, and some creosote (I think) falls into the ash. I've got it burning good (so I think) because the dual doors glass doesn't get smoky/fogged/nasty the way I`m burning now... but this concerns me. (It also seems to heat our 1800 2story (1 vaulted room) house nicely too...

Thanks everyone!

NEW2W00D said:
3. I have a damper about 8" or so above my stove... when should I utilize this? It's my thought that after 10-15 minutes of putting new wood on I close it off, and then adjust the air flow with the rod under the stove. The wife thinks it should be left open all the time, it seems to me that closing it forces it to burn more of the smoke and keeps the heat in more... she claims it makes more heat w/it open and I just tell her the wood is burning faster thats why.

5. Every few mornings or so after it's died down almost all the way I get a crackle, and some creosote (I think) falls into the ash. I've got it burning good (so I think) because the dual doors glass doesn't get smoky/fogged/nasty the way I`m burning now... but this concerns me. (It also seems to heat our 1800 2story (1 vaulted room) house nicely too...

Thanks everyone!

3. How tall is your chimney? You shouldn't probably ever need to close that damper entirely. You need some heat going up there to maintain draft and limit creosote.

5. How often do you sweep? This is a pre-epa stove, so expect some sweeping, even with dry wood and clean glass. Especially if you close the damper.

madrone said:
NEW2W00D said:

Thanks everyone!

3. How tall is your chimney? You shouldn't probably ever need to close that damper entirely. You need some heat going up there to maintain draft and limit creosote.

5. How often do you sweep? This is a pre-epa stove, so expect some sweeping, even with dry wood and clean glass. Especially if you close the damper.

3. It goes out the 2nd story near the top... very steep roof probably 4-5' taller than avg. chimney on a 2 story.

5. We just did in Dec, planning on once a year. We probably only burn ~5mo/yr. People are getting 150$ to sweep I need to start doing it myself, and I can do it a lot more often too.

Where can I find the brushes and extensions to sweep it myself?

Also any info on the thermometer and where toplace it so I maintain the right temps?

THanks!!

Wow. I can hear crickets.
I'm very far from an expert on this stove. Your stove is my stove's ancestor. I'd say, based on my somewhat limited experience with non-EPA stoves, that your chimney is certainly tall enough to justify using the damper, but I'd guess that if you leave it open just enough to keep the chimney a little hotter you'll have less creosote. Since your stove doesn't have baffles or secondary air, you'll always have some smoke and therefore creosote.
I got my brush and poles at the local hardware store, but I almost bought them online through Ace:

http://www.acehardwaresuperstore.com/chimney-brush-brush-mechanical-cleaner-c-46_439_43901.html

I suppose if you buy a brush and don't mind giving it a thorough cleaning every month or so, (doesn't take long at all,) you could keep running with the damper closed more, but I'd sure keep an eye on it. Chimney fires are dangerous. It's a risk/benefit decision. Hotter chimney= less creosote=less chimney fire risk, but you'll use more wood. Honestly, I'd think about taking advantage of the tax credit and getting a new stove. You'll use 30 percent less wood, or so they say. Plus hardly any smoke, much less sweeping.

I don't use a thermometer, so I can't tell you anything about them. I'm happy if my glass is clean and the stove never glows. Everyone here seems to put a magnetic one on the top towards the front. I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.