Lopi Fan is dead?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just found the fan on my newer lopi Leyden wood stove has burned out, or it seems to be.
The stove is about 2 months old and seems a tad early.... anyone else had a fan burn out on their stove?

I haven't checked the warranty on this yet, but can I expect a replacement?

Hi Vermonster- and a happy hollidays to you and yours !!!

No problems with my fan unit yet. Does make a slight hum, usually keep it on low to medium- not too distracting.
Ya got to know that it is probably not made by LOPI- but that does not mean that they should stand behind it.
Make Eserskeys take it back for a new one.
Did you install it, or did they ? ( I put mine on) Doesn't matter- make em give you a new one.
One other thought... might not be the fan, might be that thermasistor thingy- fiddle thit the wires to see ???

Best to You

Hi SourDough!

well, my first thought was the switch- I did a quick little "test" to by pass, and just put the two wires together, I have a feeling it is burned out... what a drag. I really don't need another "task" this time of year.. uhg!

but, Happy Holidays to you too! more snow today!

Just by chance one of the fans on my Declaration insert is dead. I contacted my dealer who contacted Lopi. It appears that Lopi will not be able to ship until after the holidays (New Years) so I will be feeling a little cooler until then. Not the type of service I was expecting, much slower than expected.

Oh and it is under warranty.

That's why it is important for dealers to stock common parts, snap switches, blowers etc. Vermontster, your fan is under warranty and you should have no trouble with getting it replaced. The fans on the declaration are a little different than the other lopi woodstove fans so it is probably reasonable that your dealer didn't have one in stock, I based my stock of parts on the amount of units that we had sold that utilized those parts. It's likely that the volume of flush wood inserts he has sold does not justify having that particular fan in stock. Why Lopi is unable to ship up to Friday is unknown to me. I know that they usually shut down for a fair amount of time around the holidays so maybe they shut down early this year.

Had me worried there for a moment when I read a Lopi fan was dead. I know people love their stoves but...well, glad it was only a switch

:-S Our Leyden is only a year old but after a loud snap and blue spark the fan still works but the variable control (Rheostat?) isn't functioning. Does anybody know if I can just replace a part and what it might be? Stove doesn't keep the house warm at all without the blower and seems to overheat more easily. Thanks.

VERMONTSTER, PLEASE READ THIS. ALSO OTHERS WITH unworking FAN MOTORS.
A fan motor is not bad until it has been connected direct to the wall power & still refuses to run.

Instructions how to hook your fan motor direct to the wall power,thus bypassing all control switches in the stove that might/could/maybe bad and any bad wiring connections that may or may not exist.

First I will say that i am not an expert on the lopi leyden, I dont own one & never even saw one, but i do know a little about electricity & wiring from running a major appliance repair shop for 20 years.

Therefore, first, unplug your stove for safety & look with a good flashlight & magnifing glasses or reading glasses to see if your fan motor is rated for 120 volts ac (vac)
& if it is ,disconnect the two wires leading to the fan motor & tape the female terminals at the end of the wiring harness that you just removed from the fan motor.

Take a 120 vac lamp cord & install on the end of its two wires the same type of terminals that were used to connect the original wires that you removed.

Now ,you can plug the fan motor inquestion into the wall socket or an extrnsion cord to see if it runs. If it does run, then the motor is ok & a switch or reostate somewheres else is at fault.

When I do this, I like to make up a line cord with a off/on switch with a duplex recepticle, so that I can plug in the test wire to the motor into the recepticle with the power off & just snap the switch to on ,to see if the motor will run. If you see sparks or smoke or hear funny noises from the motor,you can snap the switch off a lot faster than you can unplug a cord from the wall or an extension cord.

If the motor runs ok ,you can run it at full speed, without a reostat to get the disbursial of heat that you need from the fan motor. it will be ok until a repairman comes.

If you are the worry wart type you can put a 5 amp or 10 amp fuse in series with the switch that supplies the receptical trhat your fan motor is plugged into.

You must use a 3 prong plug on both the test cord & the switch & fuse cord so that the polatities of the stove & the polarities of the independent fan motor circuit remain the same
in regards to each other.

The motor shouls have a full load amperage rating stamped into the sheet metal of the motor or on a sticky lable on the motor. This is the same place where you looked to see the 120 vac rating. the amperage rating will then you what size fuse to put in the switchable cord.
amps or just (A)

I hope this helps. If you want to learn more get to book, basics of wiring, or abc's of electrical wiring at lowes or home depot in the electric dept or www.ask.com & search for basics of electrical wiring. also, www.ehow.com & search for basics of electrical wiring for the home or for appliances.

Status
Not open for further replies.