Lopi Freedom or Buck Stove Model 74 insert and haggling?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Which is a better stove for me?

• Buck Stove Model 74

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

scoooter

Hearth Supporter
Sep 9, 2010
Central Md
First: My house is well insulated 2200 square feet, the air return is about 15 feet away from the fireplace and there are no ceiling fans in that room and I am located in central Maryland.

Second: I have narrowed my choices down to either the Lopi Freedom or the Buck Stove model 74. Which is better for a beginner, that isn't stupid, just doesn't have that much experience with stoves... :) I would like to be able to use a screen and occasionally leave the door open...

Third: Haggling? Can you haggle prices on the stove or are they pretty much this is what it costs?

Thanks for helping a newbie,

Scott

Random thoughts . . .

Stove choice . . . it really is up to you . . . providing that the stove size fits the size of your home. Not having first hand experience with either the Lopi or Buck I couldn't really offer a valid opinion either way . . . except to say that running a stove isn't rocket science . . . as long as you burn seasoned wood, burn at the proper temps, make sure the install is done by the book and maintain the stove and chimney properly.

Screen . . . a lot of people . . . myself included . . . think a screen would be wicked cool . . . I mean . . . who wouldn't . . . a woodstove that you can burn like a fireplace . . . however I skipped out on this option after reading a whole lot of opinions from folks here who had bought the expensive screen, used it once or twice and then put it away and haven't used it since . . . apparently the beauty of that secondary combustion (and a lot more heat warming you rather than going up the chimney) is what swayed them to not use the screen.

Haggling . . . you can try . . . in my experience with Jotul I found that the price was only $100-$200 different from the various dealers so I went with the place that had a good price and had a stove in stock.

I vote for the Buck 80, the 74's smooth-talkin' catalytic brother. Says right there on the Buck site that cats are preferred if the stove is the primary source of heat. :p I'm a firm believer in haggling, but a big part of it is timing. It never hurts to ask, but this is probably not the best time of year to be asking. Wait 6 months and discounts on various stoves won't be hard to find. It pays to be flexible, both in timing and product selection, when looking for a deal.

The 80 is too tall for my fireplace....

Let me know what you get quoted for the Lopi Freedom.

I've got 2200 square feet as well, but I'm planning on closing off roughly 300 square feet, I'm well insulated and have very little air leaks in my home, and I'll have alot of fans cranking to spread the heat.

I'm ready to pull the trigger on the Lopi Republic 1750, but am pausing to consider the Freedom as well.

Scoooter said:
The 80 is too tall for my fireplace....
Doh! Well, good luck in your Lopi quest. At this time, I'll dispense the standard hearth.com advice: If you don't have a line on dry, truly seasoned firewood, there's not much point(other than the 2010 tax credit) in getting in a hurry to buy a stove. . .it won't perform well with wood that was split this summer, which is probably what you'll get if you buy wood now.

I might have gotten taken but it was 3185.22 for the Lopi Freedom insert with the black door, 8” trim panels and the blower. That also includes 6% sales tax and 125 freight but the market is cornered around here for lopi's so it is what it is ;-)

Scott

Haggling room went out the window after Labor Day. We're now in the wood stove shopping frenzy season.

The Lopi is a really nice stove. You should be a very happy camper with it and even happier after the tax credit.

Status
Not open for further replies.