Lopi Large Flush Update

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Freyja

Sep 24, 2023
Long Island
Hello Everyone!

I've missed so much on this forum and need to catch up...My Lopi Large Flush insert is performing much better since my liner was insulated..Easier startups and next day. After 10hrs have embers to restart....Still learning to master air control for a better experience...Cut myself on a mandolin Thanksgiving Eve...bad injury but finally healed...Busy rotating wood. Got a new load but MC is high at 23%. Seller claims it is 3 yr seasoned...LOL...Fortunately I have enough in stock for this year and next fall...Not sure about early winter of 2025...Using the Lopi as a supplement source of heat.

I have southern exposure...How long will it take for the new (mostly oak & maple) load to cure?...1-2 yrs ?..It's hard to find a good supplier in my neck of the woods...I have canvas covers on the pile..Should I uncover them completely in the spring?

More secondary action too... but still some have coals...Think that's my fault since I shut the air down all the way while burning last load...Glass doesn't get too dirty either...getting more ash than before so I'm learning ....Thanks for all the help you have afforded me! Hope you guys n gals enjoyed the holiday's....

Ouch, sorry to hear about the mandolin accident. Hope all has healed well.

It's good to hear that the insulated liner helps. It will keep your installation safer and the flue will be cleaner. You will find that each loading of wood will burn slightly differently. Wood is a natural material with many variations depending on what part of the tree it came from. The species of wood, airgaps between splits, the temperature and wind speed outdoors, are all variables. This makes woodburning part art and part science. You will get better over time.

Reactions: hoot
Thanks BG for good wishes ....Just realized The Wood Shed forum is where I should start reading for storage information...I'm blown away by the vast knowledge by staff members and Moderators here...Gentlemen you are all amazing and very generous with your time...

Hey, hope all is healing.
I find that my wood, well stacked, southern exposure oak will go to 10% or less (most is 7-8%) in about 12-13 months. I have wood I can get from a guy which is kiln dried and that is positively great. I have two wood stoves. One on each end of the house. One is a Hearthstone and phenomenal. The other is a Lopi and 150% useless. The point being that I found the wood burns better when I bring it into the house and let it warm to room temps. As I am typing this, it is 16 degrees and snowing. That goodness for the Hearthstone. The Lopi not so much.
Good luck.

Reactions: Freyja
Hi Kiln Dried

Thank you for the info, your time and good wishes.Happy New Year! ...Been reading the Wood Shed forum to get educated...I love the Hearthstone stoves but from my avatar photo you see why I needed a flush unit...I am sooo envious of members who can use their fireplaces with a wood stove or a stand alone...Love the Hearthstone lineup. I miss my all cast iron insert but soapstone is great.

Now I know what to expect...All my backyard pines(31 trees) are toast due to the "Beetle Bug"....Just had them cut down before the storm. Ready to be hauled, stump grinding and forest floor cleaning next...Getting upset at the sight of all that wood I'm unable to burn next year...Infected wood must be disposed of...I have 2 wheel barrels full of wood inside for tonite when temps drop....

I got some snow overnight, so at 6am shoved about 3 inches before change over to rain...not as cold as you are my friend...spent loads of time in Pa as a child since my dad was from Summit Hill area.... summers at Split Rock....Have great childhood memories of Pa. Stay warm and thanks again.

Hi Hoot!
Thanks for posting that video!...Your unit is gorgeous...I know your house is quite toasty...These units are beasts! I am getting better burn times, secondaries and heat...love looking at yours! Congrats on making a great choice!;)

Hi Kiln Dried

Thank you for the info, your time and good wishes.Happy New Year! ...Been reading the Wood Shed forum to get educated...I love the Hearthstone stoves but from my avatar photo you see why I needed a flush unit...I am sooo envious of members who can use their fireplaces with a wood stove or a stand alone...Love the Hearthstone lineup. I miss my all cast iron insert but soapstone is great.

Now I know what to expect...All my backyard pines(31 trees) are toast due to the "Beetle Bug"....Just had them cut down before the storm. Ready to be hauled, stump grinding and forest floor cleaning next...Getting upset at the sight of all that wood I'm unable to burn next year...Infected wood must be disposed of...I have 2 wheel barrels full of wood inside for tonite when temps drop....

I got some snow overnight, so at 6am shoved about 3 inches before change over to rain...not as cold as you are my friend...spent loads of time in Pa as a child since my dad was from Summit Hill area.... summers at Split Rock....Have great childhood memories of Pa. Stay warm and thanks again.
I think you can keep the wood, split it, stack it, cover it and burn it next year...
You can't transport the wood, but just keeping it is fine, I thought.

Hoot the more I look at your unit, I'm in love.....Like the ash guard on the exterior below the outer glass door above the fans!...Jealous because I haven't managed to get those wonderful secondaries with the air control open with a closed flu....I get them with the air almost closed...but I'm still learning....my wood splits are 18 inches which makes n/s loading impossible. Can't pack the stove the way I want due to unit tapering.... Got a mini chain saw. now.. oh oh...LOL

Hoot the more I look at your unit, I'm in love.....Like the ash guard on the exterior below the outer glass door above the fans!...Jealous because I haven't managed to get those wonderful secondaries with the air control open with a closed flu....I get them with the air almost closed...but I'm still learning....my wood splits are 18 inches which makes n/s loading impossible. Can't pack the stove the way I want due to unit tapering.... Got a mini chain saw. now.. oh oh...LOL
Thanks man. The wood here in Texas is hard to season. Humidity can be in the 60% alot. I have some oak leftover from last year that is dry enough so I'm burning that now. Last night was the end of winter here in East Texas. Nothing but 60s and high 70s as far out as they forecast.
I'm burning down some coals and will reload probably for the last night this year.

Thanks for your post. Hope and wish you to heal quickly!
My Lopi Large Flush insert is performing much better since my liner was insulated
Did you insulate it after the installation? Could you please share the story behind it, i.e. how and why did you decide to insulate it? Asking because I am seriously considering Large Flush insert from Lopi as well, just can't find a dealer yet who would ask a decent price for an insulated liner... Almost all say I don't need it or it won't fit into my 12x12 clay liner :) I guess they just want an easier install... But I'm learning and would love to hear your story! Thanks!

Also, I see you praise Hearthstone over Lopi and @KILN DRIED also does... It makes me wonder :) I have a 20-inch hearth and was looking into a sticking out Lopi Evergreen, but eventually decided on Large Flush Wood model since it's more powerful... Now thinking whether I'll be wasting my hearth space with it? I was under impression that Large Flush Wood model would be one of the best by performance...

The preinsulated liner I bough was 7.5" outside dia. The dealer was probably concerned about getting it through the flue are constriction. All you have to do is remove the insulation and outer aluminum pipe at the last 3 ft or so coming into the stove. From the flue up will be insulated. Alot of these dealers aren't real good at figuring stuff out.

Reactions: yuryk
Hi Yuryk!

If you search this forum you will see ALL my horror stories....My unit was installed with a single wall but very heavy duty liner in a tight configuration...damper and clay tiles were removed on a previous repair job...I have an external chimney (harder to heat up)...I had the dealer come back and reinstall the single wall with a 1/2 wrap...The liner was glued, taped, strapped and re-inserted...

Not an easy job because the liner was very heavy single wall to begin with, but after the "blanket" it was not as flexible ..There was a metal mesh in the blanket kit to help prevent shredding on the way back down...I hardly had any clearance to the masonry and afraid of igniting creosote, and probably a fire code without it...plus start ups after overnight burns are easier and I think the draft is better.

Dealer took it pretty well knowing I was hell bent on the wrap...Still ticked off I did not get my block off plate...Dealer claims no room...Read what the guys here told me about this install...They were very generous with their time and wonderful advice...I suspect some of them are dealers, worked for a manufacture, or engineers...These men have incredible skills and knowledge. They can get very technical if need be. I could have never gotten thru my ordeal without the help from the moderators and the community.

My non-cat unit is only 73HHV so no tax credit, but think the Evergreen has better numbers...Stay warm....

Yuryk,

Just remember the Large Flush is very reliant on fan operation...During a power failure you will notice the difference...The large ceramic glass and cast frame will convect heat but not the same...Look at my avatar, I don't have a raised hearth plus the opening is NOT to the bluestone on the floor...I had no choice...If a unit is sitting extended on a raised hearth, I'm envious.

The inside of the Flush is tapered and harder to load n/s unless you have smaller splits..I would prefer a square firebox but no can do in my case...Since I'm a cast iron freak, I adore soapstone as well...It's why the Hearthstone lineup is attractive to me...Large Flush fans are noisy but I don't mind...

Just lost my left hand side fan....I could pull the shroud but hell its under warranty...Whatever you do don't pile up ashes on the front right side where the snap disk is...My right one works on all variable speeds.....Mad because the unit was just installed in November 2023...darn it....plus I've been burning lower and slower to get the secondaries....Have a great day...

What happens when you pile ashes up at the snap disc? Just runs longer?
I load mine east west. Two reasons I selected this stove. The install instructions tells you how to install it in a ZC fireplace and it fit's the entire opening like a glove.

Hi Hoot

I'm guessing the snap disk is sensitive to overheating...I've read where people have problems with the disk and fans won't come on at all...Not sure if the manual has a warning... I'm wondering if my trouble is the rheostat...Just browse thru the posted threads regarding those troubles...you'll see...so I keep that front right side above the disk clear of ash...

Since my firebox is shaped like the Large Flush interior, like you said fits perfectly.....But I did have the installer move the plug/wiring harness to the left side since the right side plug is right above a heating vent in the floor...hmmm....

If I was younger, I'd get off my duff, unscrew the damper/air caps, pull the surround, get a voltmeter and check if there is power to the left fan...or at least vacuum the darn thing...

If you can load wood, you should be able to remove the surround. I would check the plug connections.
I drilled a hole through the stone rear left side and used the high temp electric kit. I installed a box and short plug to an outlet that was already there. I have never had an issue with a woodstove snapdisc. This is my third woodstove that had one.

20240228_142622.jpg

Last edited:
I know just too damn lazy...I put a lighter in front of the fan output and watched the right side blow out...Left side just flickered from the convection and did not feel the blower, plus it is quiet compared to when they both run........Getting my paperwork in order for the accountant to file taxes tomorrow....

I like n/s loading due to no rollback into the ceramic glass....these units really worker better and longer when fully packed. I've learned so much from the community....think of them every time I light the stove....Love the background music on your video....I have the old Post Raisin Brand commercial with that song on video tape where the raisins are wearing sneakers....Same tape as Disco Crazy Eddie and Raid Insect Commercials....never said I was sane....

Thank you for your replies guys. Will definitely look up your stories @Freyja . Glad everything worked at the end! Trying to learn from your mistakes here! But now I'm really scratching my head about whether I'm making the right choice with that wood stove in general, especially with Large Flush Wood from Lopi :) Anyway, regular fireplace is useless and propane insert is much more expensive to use, so I guess the choice is right - just have to be prepared for the "adventures" :)

My non-cat unit is only 73HHV so no tax credit, but think the Evergreen has better numbers...
That hybrid one has better numbers too and counts for the tax credit. It's just that Large Flush heats up to 2,500 sq ft with 2.7 cu ft firebox, while Evergreen up to 2,000 with 2.2 cu ft firebox. I thought that getting a bigger firebox would be more beneficial to get more heat out of it when needed...

Large Flush is very reliant on fan operation
Very curious how much different it is. I guess, having some kind of a battery backup would help in this case... Or maybe even a low-powered external fan blowing away or into the unit as a temporary solution? Just thinking out loud...

I am very happy with my stove..Yes there is a learning curve but I think non-cat's maybe easier to operate once you get the hang of it...Hoot has a Large Flush with a cat...just a different surround kit...Cat stoves MUST be monitored temp wise.....I opted for the non cat version because replacing the catalyst is expensive and they are being phased out...So I grabbed one...Circulating the air around the unit with another fan sounds good and makes sense.....Worst case scenario I'll use my central HVAC fan only mode.

I had trouble getting secondary combustion, but that was the newbie blues aka operator inexperience...My Winter Warm had a catalyst and the operational experience is different....These new EPA rated stoves are real particular fuel wise...

One of the moderators has posted articles with pictures on how to pack a stove..He stressed how important it is to use dry wood...He told me every load will be different depending on the variables...outside temps, type of wood, how dry etc etc....I am burning so much better and can read my fire too(color of the flames)...the collection of dedicated people here figured out what I was doing wrong and how my installation should be done and why...

My non cat unit goes into secondary with closed damper and air 98% closed...I am enjoying using this unit, just disappointed about the fan failure but that will be fixed....trying to figure out if I caused it somehow...Using my dragon right now and it is toasty in here even with one fan on low....Hope you learn from my misadventures....Better yet read the advice they give other members too...Believe me it helps. Cheers!

Reactions: yuryk and hoot
Great new video Hoot!...Sometimes that Texas weather gets brutal....Last time I lost power for over 24hrs was when Hurricane Sandy hit years ago...Cat 1 storm did tremendous damage on Long Island. 3 Gennies Wow....

@hoot , thanks for the video, that's very helpful (and beautiful!). If you have more - please share more :)

Cat stoves MUST be monitored temp wise.....I opted for the non cat version because replacing the catalyst is expensive and they are being phased out
As far as I know, you can remove catalytic converter from that Hybrid stove and it will function just like that previous non-catalytic model... So I think even if it's going to be a big headache to maintain - worst case I'll just use it without it. But that tax credit is worth opting out for it I think. (although I've got a dealer with older Evergreen model with 1k off promotion... so scratching my head now - can't chose between Large Flush and that discounted Evergreen... cheaper, but would feel like I waisted all the space for better heat in my big fireplace :))