Lopi Leyden & Chimney Advice - HELP!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TFire

Hearth Supporter
Dec 10, 2006
Hi! I'm brand new here. Searched around and appreciate all the advice. I'm just curious about updated Lopi Leyden info. I saw it had some issues, I'm wondering if they're worth dealing with? It looks like the perfect stove for our home and its place in it, as well as (and most importantly) for the job to be done. I know next to nothing about woodstoves, but I liked the look of this, liked that it has a long burn time, and the size is good. But I read that its new technology, and there are issues with the blower? Can anyone give us a yea or nea on this one? We like the VC Encore too, but liked the castings better and the height of the Leyden. We'd be replacing an older (hideous) jotul. Worked pretty well, but needs a lot of work - and its just ugly. Like the tiki worn around Bobby Brady's neck!)

My second issue - we have an OLD house. Our chimneys were recently cleaned. We were advised we had no liner and it was necessary to put one in. And that the bricks were falling apart (that part we knew to be true!) So, we went ahead and put in the liner. It was $1800 for the liner, the brick work and cleaning of both chimneys. Was this a scam, or does a chimney really need a liner. Ours didn't have one, and (like I said) its an old house.

Thanks all!! I'll keep reading, if you all keep writing!! :)

I know nothing about the Leyden except it's a brand new stove from Lopi and I like the looks of it also. If they have issues, I'm sure they are under warranty.

Most older chimneys have no clay linning, just brick. That is probably why you needed a stainless steel liner. If you had a chimney fire without a liner the heat could travel through the brick and burn your house down. You can purchase 25' liner kits on Ebay for under $400 or have a local sweep or hearth guy install one for anywhere from $900- $1500. Your price seems pretty reasonable to me since they did brick repair and swept the chimney.

Thanks! I feel so much better. My first concern is always safety, which was why we were quick to agree to the lining. I felt we were doing the right thing, but then heard a lot about scamming in the area. Still, they got the job done neatly and quickly, and I felt like it had to be the right thing to do. You reinforced that sense, so, thanks again!

Of course we'll need some pictures. I think you are the first Leyden owner posting here so we'll all be very interested in how it works out for you. Please keep posting your impressions and observations. Also, it would help to know what part of the country you are in and what model Jotul are you replacing.

Hi, I'm on Long Island in NY. But, I'm sorry if I implied that we bought the Leyden - I'm thinking about buying it. I'm trying to decide. In the store the VC handles seemed a little cheesy and the doors wouldn't shut right. I realize they're on display, but they're being used, so.... Also, the ash drawer seems easier to handle in the Leyden. Anyhoo, I was trying to ascertain the best stove for us - SAFETY first!

The Jotul, well, I've no idea what model. It came with the house. Its ugly, and burns hot and fast. Its a front loader. Sort of triangular, but with a flat top. It has a screen for viewing, but we rarely use it, so the door is usually shut. It looks like a big scary face with a nose ring. Very 70s. I love the new stoves. They're pretty and we can see the fire without the issue of sparks.

I feel like there's a little more control with the new stoves, too. I grew up with a big hideous gold and brown box in the living room - nothing at all to look at, but worked well. And the Jotul, well, it heated nicely, but its box was so small, and oddly shaped, it didn't hold a lot of wood, so it didn't burn very long, at all. We're hoping a new stove will burn longer and more efficiently. And cleaner and safer!

There are lots of variables. To start with, how many sq. ft. are you heating? Where is the stove located? What is the room size that the stove is going in? Is this room part of an open floorplan where heat circulates well or does the heat stay in the room?

There are lots of nice stoves in the Leyden's range. If you would be more comfortable with an established brand I would look at the Vermont Castings (Encore), Jotul (Castine F400 or Oslo F500), Quadrafires (Isle Royale) and Harman (Oakwood). Information on each is online. Depending on how you use the stove, 24/7 or just evenings might also be a variable in making a decision. If 24/7 you might want to consider a soapstone stove like Hearthstone or Wodstock. If you can post a picture of the existing location that would be helpful too.

I am posting a picture to guess at the Jotul model. Does your stove look like this one?

Attachments

• Lopi Leyden & Chimney Advice - HELP!
    old_jotul.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 684
That's Him! Hee hee. I wouldn't have expected he had any siblings! :)

Ok, I'm HORRIBLE at guessing square footage or lengths - but I'm guessing we're about 1600 sq foot or so. This unit is in the living room which is not an open floor plan. It is at the bottom of the stairs but tucked into its own little corner - not next to the stairs. it faces directly into the dining room. I'm going to go try to find a tape measure and do a quick quick measure for you, because I appreciate your input!! Hold on, I'll brb.

I think that is the Jotul 4. Some folks actually liked that design. Well each to their own. I like the looks of the regular Jotuls much better too.

Well, I guess that's true. And in 1979, I'dve probably thought it was the coolest thing! But it hardly goes with the little old 2 story farmhouse - I guess a toned down Queen Anne - 2 stories, 3 Gables - built in 1908 which we use a family friendly ecclectic antiquey decor.

Ok, so I did a REALLY quick measurement, and I guess I wasn't too far off. I'd say we're looking at approximately 1300 sq ft. Give or take. The stairs are at one end of the living room against the north wall, and the stove is just about 5 feet from the stairs on the west wall adjacent to a enclosed porch (unheated unless we blow the fan out into the room when we have company and the wood stove's burning. The room the stove is in is about 11x 19. My husband heats soley by wood until night time. He's not here when I wake up, and I don't do the fire - that stove scares me! And it doesn't burn through the night anyway. If we had a stove that was easier to add wood to, and if the fire could actually go through the night, I'd add wood in the morning, and we'd probably have it going most of the time. I hope that helps!

Thanks again!

Yes, that helps alot. You want to be careful to not put in too big a stove or it may not work well either. This is kind of like Goldilocks, not too big or too hard or too hot, but just right.

Assuming you want a castiron stove, I would look at the Jotul Castine (F400) for your setup. Sounds like it's right for your home's sq. ftg.. Easy to use and pretty too. The Leyden and other stoves I mentioned earlier might be overkill as they are sized to 2000 sq ft or more homes.

But I would also seriously consider a Woodstock or Hearthstone Phoenix sized soapstone stove. They are nice looking and will provide a very even, steady heat source.

I'll look into them, thanks!! I really do appreciate all your help.

BTW - do you think the ones (Lopi/VC) are too big? I realize its a small house, but its very drafty and the warmth has to go around a lot of corners. Just curious what you think.

TFire said:
I'll look into them, thanks!! I really do appreciate all your help.

BTW - do you think the ones (Lopi/VC) are too big? I realize its a small house, but its very drafty and the warmth has to go around a lot of corners. Just curious what you think.

Two separate issues really. Your best investment is not going to be the stove, but directly addressing the source of the drafts. Fix them and you have a permanent savings from that point forward. Anyting you can do to reduce the amount of heat leaking out of the house is going to be a much better investment.

A stove with a fan like the Leyden will have an advantage with regard to air circulation. But, yes, assuming that you want to get the house tightened up and more efficient, then the larger stoves might be overkill. There are other ways to get the heat to circulate better and they should work even better, once the house is tightened up.

I like the Jotul (ay-hee-hoo) and was thinking a trip to NH might be in order to check out woodstock! They're near where I grew up :) I like the idea of the soapstone as well as the look. My husband's used to quick heat, though. Now that I better understand the difference, I can explain it to him. Maybe that'llwork out well. The Jotul is front loading only, right? That should work out, since that's what we're used to with our Tiki guy. Are they as clean burning as the others? This town is in an uproar, and threatening the dicontinuance of all wood burning - I cant see that passing, but I want to do my part to keep the air (inside and out) clean!

(just read the one before mine)

Well, that sounds reasonable enough! Its the windows mostly - and that's on the list! :) What I like about that Jotul, too, is its height. The others are so short, this has a good 2 inches on the Lopi. The shorter it is, the more it gets lost in the corner over there. I can't afford a new stove, windows, AND a new look to the platform! :0 (sure wish I could!)

TFire said:
I like the Jotul (ay-hee-hoo) and was thinking a trip to NH might be in order to check out woodstock! They're near where I grew up :) I like the idea of the soapstone as well as the look. My husband's used to quick heat, though. Now that I better understand the difference, I can explain it to him. Maybe that'llwork out well. The Jotul is front loading only, right? That should work out, since that's what we're used to with our Tiki guy. Are they as clean burning as the others? This town is in an uproar, and threatening the dicontinuance of all wood burning - I cant see that passing, but I want to do my part to keep the air (inside and out) clean!

The Jotul Castine is front loading. These are all EPA stoves and burn much cleaner than the earlier generation stoves. The Woodstock may be the cleanest of this group. It is has a catalytic convertor. Different burning technique, but more efficient.

I understand, get the stove and put clear, heat-shrink plastic on the windows this winter. It really works and is pretty simple to install. All you need are scissors and a hair dryer.

We'll do that! Well, I got an education tonight, that's for sure. Thanks for stickin with me!

Hi Be,
If you're still out there...Well, we shopped again today, and we're kind of leaning toward the Jotul, but the Oslo. I know its a little big for our need, but the issue is the longer burn time, and after talking with my husband, the drafts are not just the windows, which we can zip up, but the design of the addition on the house - its the kitchen and bath end of the house (which is part of the 1300). Its far away from the stove and therefore we need to use fans to push warm air into it when heating off wood. So, though the room gets pretty warm where the stove is, in order to get heat through to the kitchen, we need a little bit larger a stove. I hope this sounds right to you - he's pretty determined and has more knowledge than me on this stuff! :) I'm glad you suggested Jotul, they really are very nice and seem better put together than the other two (Lopi and VC) - and the single view glass as opposed to the double door, although in our opinnion not quite as quaint, is much easier to deal with - and it has a side door on the left which is better for the location. Anyway, its not set in stone yet, and I value your opinion, so I thought I'd pop another note over to you. Hope you're enjoying your Sunday! Thanks again for all your input!

More improtant than the brand is dealer support
I think you should read my WiKi Newbie purchasing a wood stove. the stove is 50% of the solution the draft /chimney the other 50%

edit - removed

TFire, we recently had a cold snap, 24 at night, 32 day, where I had to burn round the clock. Although I didn't have nice east coast hardwood, the F400 always had enough coals to easily start a fire in the morning. 9 hrs. overnight burn is not a stretch for this stove. The stove won't be hot in the morning, more like about 150-200 degrees, so it really won't be heating a great deal. If you want that kind of continuous warmth, a cat stove and/or soapstone will do a better job. The Oslo is also a great stove and should heat your place well. As you seal it up better, year after year, you may find it to be a bit of overkill, unless you are planning an addition at some point in the future?

Elk is correct, in the Oslo heat range you should at least take a look at the top loaders. They are really convenient. I chose the Castine because I have tight clearances to combustible surfaces, but it that isn't an issue for your installation, you have a much broader range of choices. If our installation wasn't constrained, I probably would have a different stove, not that I don't like the Castine, but I have owned a top-loader in the past and really like them. They're all classic looking cast iron stoves. The difference is: Harman , Quadrafire, Lopi are non-cat stoves. The VC is available with a cat or not. Cat stoves are a bit more complex and require a bit more attention by the owner, but they offer longer, steady clean burns. The VC Encore has a thermostatic damper which makes it much more of a set it and forget it stove.

Thanks Be. I'll let the fireman know (not firefighter :) ) BTW, do you have any idea what my current stove's output is supposed to be? (I mean how many sq ft it supposed to heat?) I can't find the manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.