Lopi leyden Cresote Buildup Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

richkorn

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jul 28, 2008
SE CT
I noticed this last season. I get creosote buildup under the ash dumps and in the ash pan and all along the inside front of the ash drawer that slides out. Is this an indication that air is seeping down into the ash pan area from the firebox?

The Leyden has very small (1/4"?) rope gasket in the channel under the cast iron ash dumps and they have pretty much disintegrated. I will talk to dealer and see what they say and probably cement in new gaskets around that area.

How about the gasket that surrounds the ash sliding drawer? That's compacted a bit and is almost 4 years old. Creosote on the ash drawer handle inside striker that secures the drawer to the stove for tight fit. Still feels tight, but maybe replace that gasket also?

Thanks in advance.

When was the last time your combustion blower, etc .. was pulled and/or cleaned?

If the venting and combustion blower etc... is clean and your damper setting (if any) is normal then fix your gasket situation and the problem should go away, there is not enough air going through the pellet pile for proper combustion.

sm: Venting is 4" ICC Excel -- Adapter, 12" straight, T, 25' ForeverFlex up to cap. Problem was just noticed last season. and that's when I thought maybe air was escaping down the cast iron traps. Didn't notice it until after I changed out to the ICC but there are no leaks there.

smokey: Cleaned the crap out of whole stove a few months ago. 3 hour job all inside, removed convection blower & cleaned/oiled, cleaned exhaust blower in-place because it's a pain to remove for me. The drier vent brush method used for all venting up to cap. Damper rod always pulled out enough so get good flame with pellets jumping up etc..

Sounds like an air issue to me but wanted opinions. I'll see the dealer and discuss it and change some gaskets.

Some pics: Cleaned off some of the creosote before these pics.

Ash Drawer under burn pot hole:
IMG_1109.JPG

Inside front of ash drawer:
IMG_1113.JPG

Gasket gone from channel around ash dump:
IMG_1099.JPG

Did you get his figured out Rich? My Leyden gets installed 9/21, can't wait.

Working on it. Will let ya know.

Thanks

Stove, blowers and venting including vent cap are totally cleaned. Replaced ash pan and door gaskets, and filled in with gasket/cement a gap in the ash drawer cavity (where two cast pieces meet) that was never filled at factory (ash drawer cavity top right); was definitely air getting in there but don't know if that was cause of problem. Channel around ash dump is not problem according to Travis. The gasket that's in there is just the edge of the gasket separating top and bottom of stove. Filled those in a bit anyway. Cleaned with damp rag most creosote film from inside ash drawer. Stove is ready for burning and will monitor it after I fire it up next month.

Besides the gap that I filled in I'm thinking the problem might also be attributed to the fact that last winter was mild and the stove ran on lower settings most winter on a t-stat so it shut down a lot; therefore, smoking and cindering pellet pieces in the pot and ash pan during lots of shutdowns.

Been burning and so far everything is clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.