Lopi Leyden full install $$

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedOctober

Hearth Supporter
Nov 12, 2007
Orangeburg, NY
With the recent rise in home oil prices increasing demand for woodstoves, the price at my local stove dealer really didnt surprise me too much:

Lopi Leyden (enamel) $2389
Innstal $750
Parts (venting) $750
Hearthboard (54"5"rise) $480
Sales tax $0
Total $4369

BTW can anyone suggest a cheap firewood vendor in Rockland County NY?

Believe me, wood stove dealers and manufacturers are not making any extra $$ - in fact, things are generally tough since the entire construction market died. What has happened is that the prices for steel, cast, stainless and all these manufacturer goods have went through the roof - in some cases, the cost of certain metals has tripled, others are merely double.

Meanwhile, the government somehow tells us that inflation is at 3% or less, for the good reason that if they admit more they must pay it out in Social Security!

Stove sales typically die at about Xmas or 10 days before, so that gives the dealers one month to try and "get the hay in".....

Hopefully you can dig up some firewood, and even if not you might be able to use some biobricks mixed with whatever you can scrounge up.

I feel for you. I just purchased and installed a new stove replacing my old stove and if I didn't supply my own labor it would be unaffordable for me. Material costs are high and the installers liability insurance is also probably high due to the kind of work they do. You can buy a lot of heating fuel for 4K but once its gone, its gone. Once you have the hardware, tthere is nothing like wood heat.

Jim

I personally think $750 labor is steep but I guess it depends were you live
we charge $300- $400 for a new wood stove install.
It should only take up to 2-4 hours to install venting and set up a stove with a two man crew that know what they are doing.

The cost of shipping is part of it also
The warehouse I get my Travis and Enviro stoves from is only 3 hours away
but if I order just one stove to be shipped to me the cost is a min of $120

But I sell my stoves at Manufacture sedgested list plus $45 because if I was a smart dealer I would order more that one stove at a time and the cost per stove is less.
But with Colors and demand it is hard to keep up with stock.

That price is high, but close to normal for around here at this time of year. Same as trying to buy an air conditioner during a heatwave.

That labor is not high for east coast - we charged $550 about 10 years, and when you figure basic inflation that seems about right. An insulated chimney installation, when everything is figured in (travel, preparing, etc.) will take most of a day. Certainly sometimes we would get lucky and take less, but all in all, it is most of a day. $750 for two people, truck, tools, insurance and profit is about right. For comparison, when I used to follow HVAC prices, they said one man and a truck was 85 per hour (10 years ago also!).

our Service rate is $65 per hour
but still a standard single story home with comp roof will only take half a day to install from the time leaving the shop to getting back to the shop.
If you have the right tools and brains.

Hi RedOct,

Sorry to hear the price is that high. I have a few tips however.

If this is the first stove you are getting and the first year using firewood, it might be too much money to shell out. What if you dont like it? What if the dust is too much? What if you hate it because you cannot get good seasoned wood and therefore the fires wont stay lit or the temps are too low?

I would suggest starting on the cheap with a good used stove (craigslist/ebay). And read this forum. And order the chimney kit from Ebay or the internet. And build your own hearthpad. All are not too hard to do and it will give you great satisfaction.

I started out that way and I can say that most people that know me, call me for advice when they are deciding on wood stoves, firewood, or not.

Think about it. If you were a little closer, I would come over and talk in person and see what can be done.

Carpniels

PS. the cadillac install sounds really nice, and if you have the cash and are not worried about the $4K, do it. I am just saying that you might get the same or better experience by starting on the cheap and doing it yourself and learning as you go along.

My local Harman dealer wanted $600 to install a $3000 pellet stove, and he was just going to vent it straight out the back wall of the house. For a $3000 stove and that simple of an install, it should have been significantly cheaper.

Guess who did his research, asked questions on Hearth.com and saved $600?

Status
Not open for further replies.