Lopi Leyden fuse problem solved

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnL82

Dec 15, 2008
Maine
Ok so here it is...
The dealer came & ripped the stove apart discovering that the hopper lid switch had worn down or melted or something else so that it was grounding against the stove. Thus blown fuses. Amen problem solved.

I hate that lid switch. I'm always trying to hold it in while adding more pellets. If the lid is open for too long (and I don't know how long is too long) it goes into startup mode all over again.
Mike -

I don't have a Lopi, but my travis-built Astoria doesn't have a lid switch......why is it needed? Does the manual say what it's for?

I think that if it was me, I'd be bypassing that switch.....but that's just me.....not telling anyone else to do that.

The manual says that when the lid is opened it stops the auger from feeding pellets. I assume they are worried about someone getting a finger stuck in the auger? It will also force the stove into startup mode if the lid is left open for some amount of time. Obviously because it has stopped feeding pellets and the stove is going out anyway. I've been thinking about defeating the switch for some time now.
Mike -

With my Leyden , i just pour in the pellets , whatever amount needed, then i press the start button. Most times it doesn't skip a beat but once in awhile she goes thru the cycle . Muss PS. you could have someone hold that button down while you fill it. works everytime

Dr_Drum said:
I hate that lid switch. I'm always trying to hold it in while adding more pellets. If the lid is open for too long (and I don't know how long is too long) it goes into startup mode all over again.
Mike -
With the Harman the switch is a sensor, it has to do with maintaining the negative pressure inside the firebox. Probably the same for most stoves, just another safety feature.

New UL and European standards require either a switch on the hopper lid to kill the auger
or a Grate screen New Enviro units have this. to keep hands out of the auger when operating.

Hi,

I'm a noob, I had my leyden installed on dec 19, and I've put a little more than half a ton of ozark hardwood products pellets through it. so far I have no complaints.
I've been lurking for a couple of days,
About the lid switch, I just hold it down unless I'm actually filling the hopper.. its a pain, but I think you void your warranty if you mess with it.. I'm not sure its worth it. at least until the warranty time period passes.. even then, its like anything else, I just got into the habit.. I never have to push the manual start button..

Tanelorn

Ya, it's not a big deal, but I think I will eventually make some kind of C shaped clip I can slip on and remove easily.
Mike -

Status
Not open for further replies.