lopi leyden install complete with pic

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lucaspoge

Hearth Supporter
Nov 3, 2009
northern iowa
new to the forum and would like to share my story of our 10 acre acreage and the install process process of our lopi leyden. Our goal was to have it up and running before the cold set in and we accomplished that goal. my wife and i bought our house sept 2008. over the past year was a complete demo of the inside so we could get down to the bear bones which we knew where good just everything was in need of repair on the inside- plumbing, electrical, roof, siding, windows, you name it we are replacing it in an effort to make an old house into a super efficent house. the entire perimeter of the house is getting a second layer of R13 insulation which will bring the entire house up to about R28. The original portion of the house was built in 1858 out of limestone from a nearby quary. the walls are 2 and half feet thick and show really no noticeable deteration in them.
most of these projects we are doing ourselves and with the help and expertise in buidling of my father. the goal is to have the house finished by late summer 2010.
okay onto the install of our lopi leyden. I knew lopi was an excellent maker of stoves and decided cast iron was the way to go. We finished the install this past weekend and had our first couple burns in her. With the help of this website and the posters who shared there stories about there leydens/arbors, we were able to after just a couple burns be able to figure out how to operate this stove quickly and efficently. Im sure we may have had similar stories as people in the forums had as far as not being able to get it to operate properly.
We are using rutland magnetic stove thermometer and get the stove top up to 500-550 then kick in the secondary combustion. we can easily hear the low rumble described in earlier posts. stovepipe temps drop from 475 down to 350 while maintaining about 550-600 stove top with air wide open. if we dampen it all the way down we maintain 450 stove top and 300 stovepipe. we have been able to get 7-8 hour burns with the stove top still above 250 and easily ignitable coals using a combination of soft maple and ash. so far we are really happy with the stove and how it operates but for there is no pretty flame when you dampen it down all the way as most stoves. with the damper open part way then there are nice flames to enjoy.

http://lucaspoge.myphotoalbum.com/
here multiple photo albums with hundreds of pics of our progress. click on the fall 2009 to see the stove pics. there are also pics of our woodpiles scattered thoughout the albums
enjoy the website full of our pics- eventually a website will be put up with a caption under each picture.

thank you to all who contribute to this forum.

Attachments

• Copy of 100_0990.jpg
    Copy of 100_0990.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 420
Power, a word of advice when you go to do the vertical portion of your hearth. I framed up a similar deal, and strangely almost the exact color tiles you have. I also did the vertical portion in tile; this was a mistake I had to remedy. The top tiles are on the cement board, so everything there is fine, but I gooped my vertical tiles right to the wooden subframe. This was all well and good until summer came and it rained like hell and the frames must have had some expansion, cuz the grout started to crack, which I repaired, and it cracked again. I ended up chipping off the vertical tiles, routering a design into some nice boards, and doing the vertical portion in wood. Then I filled the gap between the wood and the tiles with a sanded caulking that matches the grout. Works good, last a long time.

Great story and work, the Leyden is one sharp looking stove....look forward to viewing your albums.

thanks fwwarden and mike-
at this moment the 10 inches or so of vertical hearth will be a wide oak baseboard trim similar to what will be be around the base of the rest of the house. we may at some point in the future tile or stone the chimney portion along with half way up the wall but at this moment we will just stick with drywall. we have to leave something to remodel 10 years from now, haha. it has been a great experience tearing apart a house and knowing the inner workings of your house, exactly where everything is at and how it was put together.

Status
Not open for further replies.