pkryan, I had the smoke detector in 1st floor hallway going off a few times. I believe this is the vapor/gases from the new paint burning off--mine only did it while running on high though. I still get that burning-in smell if I crank it up to high. So, keep running it and the smell and setting off smoke detectors will go away (unless you have another problem). If we're going to be gone all day we're going to turn it off and, if it's cold out, turn the oil heat on to about 50-55 while we're gone. We're not running it all night yet because we're limited on pellets right now, but when it gets real cold and I have a full pellet supply (again) it will be running on low to medium all night. Pellet stoves are way more safe than running a fire in an open fireplace. Enjoy that Leyden, it's nice unit!