Lopi Liberty Help Needed!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

boisblancboy

Apr 26, 2009
Northern Michigan
Hey everyone, I need a little help with my Liberty. This is the third heating season with the stove which I bought new. The problem I am having is that if I get the wood burning just a little, with some coals also in the stove, even when I close it up I cant control it. It starts to burn too hot and within awhile my house is 80! I just replaced the door gasket too, because that was so far the first and only thing anyone has suggested to do, I have also adjusted the door handle to latch really tight. So I need some suggestions on how to correct this problem cause unless the temp is in its 20's or lower my house is too warm. Thank you!

Brandon

boisblancboy said:
Hey everyone, I need a little help with my Liberty. This is the third heating season with the stove which I bought new. The problem I am having is that if I get the wood burning just a little, with some coals also in the stove, even when I close it up I cant control it. It starts to burn too hot and within awhile my house is 80! I just replaced the door gasket too, because that was so far the first and only thing anyone has suggested to do, I have also adjusted the door handle to latch really tight. So I need some suggestions on how to correct this problem cause unless the temp is in its 20's or lower my house is too warm. Thank you!

Brandon
I put in a pipe damper and partially covered the air intake under the stove with some heat tape.It helps quite well.

boisblancboy said:

Brandon

I have the same problem with my liberty. What are your stovetop temps. At what temps do you reload. Size house you are heating. I heating a two story 2,400 sq ft house that has a fairly open floor plan. I reload between 300 and 350 and things usually skyrocket from there. I adjusted the door handle and I am getting ready to replace the gasket which was suggested to me and see if it helps and also getting ready to install a pipe damper. My stovetop temp can be anywhere from 650 to 750 (max temp I will allow my stove do go before I turn on the fan to cool it down). My house usually isn't 80. Instead it is usually pushing 90. Just learned to love the heat. I have came to the conclusion that these thing likes to run HOT and that sometime you can't load as much wood into it as you would like

Rich L said:
boisblancboy said:

Brandon
I put in a pipe damper and partially covered the air intake under the stove with some heat tape.It helps quite well.

When you say you partially covered the air intake under the stove do you mean the intake on the front bottom of the stove or the intake where the outside air kit would go under the stove? I am going to try and partially cover mine when i get some heat tape.

Could you get a picture posted of what you taped up? I know what you are talking about, just want to see it.

I dont have a stove top thermometer. But at times I can just about put my hand on the top when I reload it. When I do I will get the wood to just start to burn then shut the door. Even then the flames wont go away, just continues to burn hotter, I hate that. To me there is no reason not to be able to control the fire more.

Anyone know if there are places on the air intake that air is being pulled through that could possibly be fixed?

lopiliberty said:
Rich L said:
boisblancboy said:

Brandon

When you say you partially covered the air intake under the stove do you mean the intake on the front bottom of the stove or the intake where the outside air kit would go under the stove? I am going to try and partially cover mine when i get some heat tape.
I think I have the intake at the front bottom of the stove partially covered.I don't have any idea where the outside intake is.

boisblancboy said:
Could you get a picture posted of what you taped up? I know what you are talking about, just want to see it.

I dont have a stove top thermometer. But at times I can just about put my hand on the top when I reload it. When I do I will get the wood to just start to burn then shut the door. Even then the flames wont go away, just continues to burn hotter, I hate that. To me there is no reason not to be able to control the fire more.

Anyone know if there are places on the air intake that air is being pulled through that could possibly be fixed?

I don't own a camera for a picture.Use a mirror with a handle to look at the underside.

boisblancboy said:

Here is what the bottom of our Liberty looks like. I will call our dealer tomorrow to see if I can cover that.

zap

Attachments

• 100_4354.jpg
    100_4354.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 1,161
To find out what will happen, just slap a piece of heavy aluminum foil over that while it is burning. Make it big enough that it doesn't get sucked in.

BrotherBart said:
To find out what will happen, just slap a piece of heavy aluminum foil over that while it is burning. Make it big enough that it doesn't get sucked in.

I'm not sure why they took out the knock out plate but will see if they have something else we can try. We are not having problems but sit here wondering if I would get longer burn times if I covered it.

Burn times loading N/S have been between 8-9 hours with cherry splits on the bottom with sugar maple on top, about four cherry and four sugar maple splits.

zap

The only way I know to get less heat is to burn smaller loads - but keeping your stove hot enough to have the secondaries doing their cleaning thing. Not full loading the firebox deprives the stove from being able to radiate as much heat in the sides, door and back as a full load would do. This is what I do with my Englander and I have avoided 700+ stove tops waiting on colder weather for that. At 600+, we are all sweating. I like to cruise at 500-550.

I think you got a great stove. Hang in there and stay cool... er, warm... ;)

Happy burning,
Bill

Thanks for all the replys, but I do believe I figured out the problem. On the air intake control, I had two small screws on either side of the housing that prevents you from pulling the whole assembly out of the stove. But the problem is that when the air control was pulled out to those screws, if you got under the stove and looked at the air intakes they would still be open maybe 3/16" and also right at the front still looking from under the stove you will see another small opening as well that allows air in. I think by watching my stove burn the big round holes feed the secondary burn tubes. So, I took those screws out and was able to choke the stove down completely, when I woke up this morning on the first overnight test my fire was out, completely!!! Now I at least I have the option as how much I can restrict the stove, tonight I wont choke it down as much. With the screws in the away is ok, but the problem is not all wood in completed equal, wet wood needs more air, dry wood needs less of course. Now with the screws removed I have the option for all or NO air. The wood I am burning now is very dry, so the air it was allowing to enter the stove was too much. I hope this helps you guys with the similar problem.

zapny said:
boisblancboy said:

Here is what the bottom of our Liberty looks like. I will call our dealer tomorrow to see if I can cover that.

zap

Ya that's it.I partially covered the opening with heat tape to good results along with the pipe damper.

Rich L said:
zapny said:
boisblancboy said:

zap

Ya that's it.I partially covered the opening with heat tape to good results along with the pipe damper.

What brand of heat tape and what is it rated for? I was told not to use heat tape which was rated for 600 degrees.

zap

Anyone happen to see what I figured out? Just curious, cause I would feel that my fix would be better than trying to tape the intake up.

boisblancboy said:
Anyone happen to see what I figured out? Just curious, cause I would feel that my fix would be better than trying to tape the intake up.

Yep, going to remove the screws and see what happens when a start a fire tonight after I clean the flue and remove the cap for the remainder of the heating season(first time being cleaned since stove was installed last October)

zapny said:
Rich L said:
zapny said:
boisblancboy said:

zap

What brand of heat tape and what is it rated for? I was told not to use heat tape which was rated for 600 degrees.

zap

I used Nashua brand tape.I don't see any info regarding ratings.What rating did they say was ok ?

Rich L said:
zapny said:
Rich L said:
zapny said:
boisblancboy said:

zap

That was from the local dealer, I emailed Travis Industries for a better answer. I found tape from 3m that's rated for 600 degrees, I put the IR Gun on the bottom near the outside air kit opening (stove top was reading 635) underneath was reading 130.

zap

zap

I used Nashua brand tape.I don't see any info regarding ratings.What rating did they say was ok ?

Status
Not open for further replies.