Lopi Liberty

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

djblech

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Jul 7, 2008
Bruno MN
What is the trick to keeping the glass clean on my Liberty? The glass gets really black if I don't scrub it every day. After 10 yrs with a VC Dutchwest that I rarely had to clean the glass, I have to learn a different way to fire the Liberty. It is unseasonably warm here, 40's and 50's, which is making it harder to figure out this stove. So far it seems like I get alot more heat with less wood than with the Dutchwest.
Thanks

I just had the Lopi Republic 1750i installed this weekend (need to introduce myself!). My first wood burner (outside of a reg. fireplace). I was quickly building up some black on my glass until I let the thing get hot this morning. I realized that I hadn't been burning hot enough.

Like I said, I got it hot this morning (around 600) and the glass cleaned itself right up!

K

Our Liberty window stays pretty darned clean. Over time, there will typically be some smatterings of grey ash & whatnot, but we sometimes go three weeks or so between cleanings with Windex & paper towel. One time recently I tossed in a split E-W just inside the door and it almost immediately blackened the whole window. I've never seen that happen before. I stoked it up and burned it hot for about a half hour, and the window was "burned" off nice and clean. Dunno what kind of wood that was, or just why it happened, but it never happened before, nor has it happened since. Rick

djblech said:
What is the trick to keeping the glass clean on my Liberty? The glass gets really black if I don't scrub it every day. After 10 yrs with a VC Dutchwest that I rarely had to clean the glass, I have to learn a different way to fire the Liberty. It is unseasonably warm here, 40's and 50's, which is making it harder to figure out this stove. So far it seems like I get alot more heat with less wood than with the Dutchwest.
Thanks

We have a Liberty(since April) I start off burning small and hot and then increase the size of my splits once I have good coals. We leave the by pass open until the flue temp reaches 500 then shut the by pass and close the air down some not all the way. It's been 2 weeks since we have cleaned the glass also the wood we are burning reads 14 - 18 percent moisture content. Never had any black on the glass.

Zap

Our Lopi Freedom stays clean as long as the fires are nice and hot. If I leave the door open a crack for an extended amount of time when the fire is getting going, the front corner will get ashed up and dirty. I have been doing more top down burns though and getting away from that problem.

Thanks for the info. I really think it will help when it gets colder so I can run hotter. Kind of worried I might overfire the new stove so I have been cautious. I tried burning n-s last night, much hotter fire. This stove is alot different than my cast dutchwest.

I know the Liberty at my grandmother's is happiest cruising around 550F minimum on the stove top.

djblech said:
Thanks for the info. I really think it will help when it gets colder so I can run hotter. Kind of worried I might overfire the new stove so I have been cautious. I tried burning n-s last night, much hotter fire. This stove is alot different than my cast dutchwest.

This is direct from Travis Industries (Lopi) on stove top temps.

I would suggest putting a stove thermometer on the stove top. That particular unit has a low burn of 200-400 degrees, a medium burn of 400-600 degrees and 600-800 degrees is considered a high burn. A good range to burn at is between 350-550 degrees.

Zap

Burn that baby HOT. I burn mine about 550 to 650 all the time. I never leave the bypass damper open longer then it takes the fire to start. I do get black -brownish window when I don't burn hot enough or wet wood. My problem is the flue gets to hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.