Lopi liberty

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

djblech

Feeling the Heat
Jul 7, 2008
Bruno MN
I have been burning the liberty since Dec. and have had a problem with the front door frame coming off. Last week I took it apart and realized that I did not have the top clips over the top lip. I thought they slipped into the slots in the front of the door. After reassemble the right way the stove burns completely different. I don't know if the frame was holding the door open but my glass blackened every time I fired unless I had the damper wide open. Now it only darkens some if the damper is closed all the way. Needless to say, I am much happier with the Liberty now. The directions could have been clearer.

Doug

Glad to hear it's on the mend. I love that huge firebox.
What kind of burn times are you getting?

If I damper down all the way I have lots coals in the morn. I have been bumping the draft open alittle so the fire is hotter and the glass is cleaner. It depends on what and how much I load before bed. Still learning.
Doug

I am a new comer to the wood stove market and I am also thinking of getting the Lopi Liberty for my 1500 sq ft ranch style brick home. Are you still satisfied with your Liberty or have you come across another stove you wished you had bought?

Too big for your place methinks tj. Your house doesn't seem to require that many btus to heat. Go down at least one size to the Endeavor.

I figured it was too much for my house but really wanted the larger stove for longer burn times and 24" log size. Thought I might be able to run it on low and work for my needs but not every having a wood stove before I needed the advise from people that have been there. Thanks.

My Liberty was assembled, delivered and installed by the dealer (or a contractor). I've never had the door apart, never had a similar problem (or any other problem). I can certainly understand that a defect like an incorrectly assembled door would adversely affect the stove's performance. Glad you got that figgered out. Rick

I like all the Lopi's. If I were to go back to steel they would be my 2nd choice behind Blaze King. Lopi's have a good fire brick baffle, stainless tubes, and a neat bypass like a cat stove to get that cold start going fast. Wish the Liberty had a couple more inches deep wise so you could load it N/S with 16"-18" splits.

If the damn Liberty was a couple of inches shorter and a few inches deeper it would be in my fireplace right now. Of course I can say the same thing for three other stoves.

I am kinda glad they didn't fit. Saved me a grand or more and the one I got is get'in it done just fine.

another Liberty door question:

I get little soot trails on the glass that I used to assume were from an inadequate door seal, but now have determined are actually from the glass seal--the thin little gasket that is between the glass and the frame. I guess when I'm done burning for the year I'll take it all apart and see if I can get it to seal better. Anyone else deal with this?

I've also recently noticed cracks in the back corners of the baffle. The dealer (a local ace hardware) says that Lopi will replace or fix it, but that I'll have to pay the ($200 or so!) shipping. This doesn't sound like a great deal and I'm considering just welding the little cracks up. Hate to void the rest of my warranty though.

Great stove though. Burns 10+ hours when I load it well--even with Pinyon.

I can't believe how much better my Liberty burns after I added 2' to my chimney. I have had a fire most of the day as it is raining and cold. All it takes is about 4 or 5 splits and I'm good for 6+ hrs. With the chimney extension the glass doesn't get as dirty when I damper down. I do wish that I could load 16" pieces N/S. I also wonder if an Endeaver would have been enough stove for me, but it is nice to have the Liberty when it is -20*. I have about 2200 sq ft that the Liberty keeps up with. I will admit that I am still learning how to get the most out of it without cooking me out.
Doug

Be glad you have the Liberty for that 2200 sq. ft. I have 1800 sq. ft., and it's about all the Endeavor can do during long cold snaps. I do like the N/S loading the Endeavor offers, however.

sixman said:
I figured it was too much for my house but really wanted the larger stove for longer burn times and 24" log size. Thought I might be able to run it on low and work for my needs but not every having a wood stove before I needed the advise from people that have been there. Thanks.

I have the Liberty and if you want a good overnight burn you want to load north/south so you don't have to worry about the log rolling into the glass.

I have been cutting the wood 14.75 inches, I do like the Liberty.

zap

oldspark said:
What is the length of log a Liberty will take N/S?

My grandmother has one, and I believe dad cuts all her wood around 14" or 15".

Pagey said:
oldspark said:
What is the length of log a Liberty will take N/S?

My grandmother has one, and I believe dad cuts all her wood around 14" or 15".

It'll take 16" N-S, but they'll be damned close to the window. We typically burn kinda catawampus, tending toward E-W...we're not really very scientific burners, I guess. Rick

I had a problem with my door too. I had it replaced by the dealer once. It still had leaks around the glass seal, you could see were they were leaking. I sealed them with some gasket cement over the top of the seal against the glass. I have never had a problem since. I do like the stove and only load east west and packed to the top tubes when i need alot of heat all night. If it had a deeper bottom it would be a great stove. I just split my wood with some big ones and small to pack it tight.

Status
Not open for further replies.