Lopi Patriot Door handle/cam question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

James Riley

Feb 5, 2019
Wyoming
We have a Lopi Patriot, sn 9981. Former owners, and us, used over-sized gaskets to get it closed. That was failing due to gaskets not sticking. I decided to follow the directions, clean the channel and glue in the proper gasket and adjust with the handle cam washers, etc. Our problems are these:

1. The 9/16" nut is stripped and spins so we were going to cut it off and get a complete new handle/cam, etc.;

2. It appears that *even if* we were to reassemble with no washers and tighten the nut all the way, the distance between the cam and the door would be at least 1/8" greater than the thickness of the stove wall where the cam torques down while closing. i.e. we will still be loose.

It seems to me, either the former owners had the wrong handle on, or there was a shim on the inside of the stove wall that has disappeared, or the cam is really, really worn down.

What do you all think?

Thanks, Jim.

Last edited:
Can you post a picture of the cam? The stove uses 7/8 gasket, along with a stack of washers on the inside behind the cam. As the gasket compresses, these washers can be moved to the outside of the handle to allow further compression of the gasket.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Can you post a picture of the cam? The stove uses 7/8 gasket, along with a stack of washers on the inside behind the cam. As the gasket compresses, these washers can be moved to the outside of the handle to allow further compression of the gasket.

Well thank you very much! The 7/8" information is, I think, what I needed. I could not find that anywhere in my Owner's Manual or the PDF on line. Maybe I missed it but I'm not seeing it. You'd think they'd put that in there. Doh! They put the nut size, 9/16", so why not the gasket?

Any way, the prior owner, and us, had been using some pretty fat gaskets improperly (not cleaning out old one, gluing over each other) and they would fall out, fray, etc.

I finally decided to do things right, follow the directions, and clean out the channel down to the metal, wire brush, etc. Then, looking at all our gaskets, they were too big to fit except one, which was the width of the channel (1/2") so I figured that was the proper one. It's too small. The others are too big or flat instead of round. Today I will look in town for a 7/8", re-clean the channel and start over.

I did order a new handle which may not be needed, but at least the nut won't be stripped. I understand the thing about the washers but it's clear that even with no washers inside and the cam sucked up against the door as far as it will go (washer(s) on the outside), there will still be a gap if using a 1/2" gasket. Hopefully the 7/8" will do the trick.

Thanks again.

The gasket looks way too big, and it’ll be hard to latch at first. Do you have a Travis dealer nearby? They sell their own gasket that works really well, some after market gaskets will work too.

Couldn't find 7/8" at True Value, Ace, Home Depot or Wal-Mart. Found it at a stove store, along with the ceramic tape (for ends) and glue. Re-cleaned the channel and put her in. Looks a LOT better. Waiting to cure and then I'll fire it up. Thank you!

Couldn't find 7/8" at True Value, Ace, Home Depot or Wal-Mart. Found it at a stove store, along with the ceramic tape (for ends) and glue. Re-cleaned the channel and put her in. Looks a LOT better. Waiting to cure and then I'll fire it up. Thank you!
Well, a stove store would have been my first and only stop... glad you found it!

Get OEM gaskets, too...they are the correct density, etc, that the maker wants in there.