Lopi Yanke Bay Insert - Buzzing Noise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
chris_v said:
I totally gave up on my wireless remote and just wired the stove to a programmable wall thermostat and it works great.

Can you give me any details on why you gave up as I was looking to pick one of these up used, if its not worth it let me know why.

Burn Out said:
chris_v said:
I totally gave up on my wireless remote and just wired the stove to a programmable wall thermostat and it works great.

Can you give me any details on why you gave up as I was looking to pick one of these up used, if its not worth it let me know why.

Well, the one I have is a Skytech, but it's a similar design. I just found that the temperature that the remote would read would vary a lot depending on where in the room it was and I was pretty frustrated with it. It also was not programmable. The wall-mount one is much more consistent, and since I never use the oil heat, I just disconnected it from the boiler and extended a wire to the pellet stove. Also, you can get a decent wall-mount programmable thermostat for under $50 at any home center.

I have the Travis wireless remote and have found it to be flakey. My dealer replaced my first one because it would often not turn the stove on/off when it wshould. The new one is better but still, if I change the temperature setting across the on/off point in the room, it sometimes does not turn the stove on/off. For example, if the room is 70, and I change the setting from 69 (stove on) to 72 the stove may keep running and not turn off at all unless I manually shut it. This happened one night and I woke up to the room at 78. The reverse is also true. I would suggest you get a skytech rather then the Travis one. I may change mine if it keeps agravating me. Also the Travis has no set back/timer feature. Only a timer to shut the stove after X amount of time.

Burn Out said:
chris_v said:

BurnOut, IMO, based upon all the people that seem to have problems with the remotes, I'd just get a regular programmable one & be done with it.

I've put this one on the forum before, as I bought one and it works very well. Plus, i had the same brand in the rest of the house for the (now) seldom used oil burner. It's a LUX PSP511LA. You can get it online for about $25. Energy Star, lighted display, 5 + 2 programming, up to 4 times a day. Runs on 2 AA batteries. 2 wire hook-up.

www.buyplumbing.net/?pg=pd&_i=PSP511LA&shopping;

Attachments

• psp511l.gif
    psp511l.gif
    8.1 KB · Views: 249
Back to buzzing noise:

I have a Lopi Leyden that gets a buzzing noise from the damper rod. It's like it's rattling because of too much air or something. When the stove is cool i'll try and get under it to see what could be doing that.

Anyone have any ideas?

My stove vents with 25' of Forever Flex up my exiting prefab flue (natural draft).

macman said:
Burn Out said:
chris_v said:

BurnOut, IMO, based upon all the people that seem to have problems with the remotes, I'd just get a regular programmable one & be done with it.

I've put this one on the forum before, as I bought one and it works very well. Plus, i had the same brand in the rest of the house for the (now) seldom used oil burner. It's a LUX PSP511LA. You can get it online for about $25. Energy Star, lighted display, 5 + 2 programming, up to 4 times a day. Runs on 2 AA batteries. 2 wire hook-up.

www.buyplumbing.net/?pg=pd&_i=PSP511LA&shopping;

Thanks for the info, I had a Honeywell programmable thermostat hooked up but blew the control board up with it...long story but the jacket on the thermostat wire was cut and touched the stove metal when I turned it on. So to make a long story short I'm just trying to go wireless, but I guess the best idea may be a wireless wall stat from what everyone is saying. Thanks for all the info, much appreciated. Sorry to hijack the vibration thread, to the above poster I have never heard any vibrations from my damper rod, wish I could help.

Status
Not open for further replies.