loss of secondary burn?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

David Fishlock

Nov 2, 2020
Cincinnati, OH
Hi, all. I have owned a PE Summit insert for about15 years with no problems whatsoever. However, it seems that my secondary burn isn't kicking in the way it used to. Last week, I fired up the stove for the first time this season and noticed that flames are not shooting out the holes in the front of the baffle the way they used to. Additionally, I am getting WAY more smoke out of the chimney for the first 20-30 minutes of the burn cycle, to the annoyance of my neighbors. This was happening last year as well. I just had my liner swept, so I know that's not the problem. Anyone else had this issue with an older PE stove or insert? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Could be a few things. Did a lot of crud fall down the secondary supply tube and block it? If not, how are the side insulation pieces that go alongside of the baffle? If they are getting ratty they need to be replaced.