Lots of ash n’ soot!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

zerowkul98

Oct 5, 2016
Bolton, MA
hi all

My hestilator cab50 has been pushing out some black, soot-y smoke lately, and lots of ash in the fire box. Ive tried different brands of pellets, and i used to just get clear exhaust, but now sometimes its a bit black.

The glass gets dirty damn fast now too. I always vac out the box and entire compartment every day, without fail.

Seeing if you all see this as a sign of something is busted, or if i need to stay away from lowe’s pellets.

Thanks

hi all

My hestilator cab50 has been pushing out some black, soot-y smoke lately, and lots of ash in the fire box. Ive tried different brands of pellets, and i used to just get clear exhaust, but now sometimes its a bit black.

The glass gets dirty damn fast now too. I always vac out the box and entire compartment every day, without fail.

Seeing if you all see this as a sign of something is busted, or if i need to stay away from lowe’s pellets.

Thanks
Personally I do not like Box store pellets but there are a lot of people on here that use them. Sounds like you are plugged up some where. Try the leaf blower and take a rubber mallet and give the burn chamber some whacks to knock the packed ash loose.

Reactions: kappel15
hi all

Thanks

Black smoke is never a good thing. A chimney fire which is burning creosote, will be blackish grey, but it should either burn out or burn your house down whichever comes first. A pellet exhaust pipe, and burning good pellets, should not have this issue as the exhaust temp should not get that hot, and creosote build up should be minimized.

Since your glass is getting dirty so quick and the smoke appears black along with large ash amounts, I'm going with the idea that the pellets have an adhesive or chemical stabilizer in them in far too large of quantity. Take a handful of pellets and smell them.

I imagine a near plugged exhaust or an insect nest in the OAK inlet can also cause issues somewhat similar, but I would think lack if heat output would be the first symptom long before black smoke.
In my opinion.

Reactions: kappel15
Either dirty exhaust, or check and make sure all pot holes are clear and that pot floor is closed all the way and that it is tight to pot walls. Or bad fuel. kap

Thanks for all the help.

I opened up the stove today, cleaned off the baffle plates, vac’d and used a paint brush to get all the soot off the ceiling and walls of the inside, took the stainless insulated exhaust pipes off, blew them out with a shop vac on reverse, stick the ash vac hose down the exhaust door that is behind the baffle plates, clean clean clean! Works like a charm now! Thanks!!!