Lots of questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would split asap. You may just need to buy a few cords to use this year. Another option if you need to keep it in that location would be to employ some German engineering and restack it in a Holz Hauzen.
Thats pretty cool there and I might try it one day after Im a couple years ahead and not worried about this year much less the next. Thanks for the video and an idea for the future

If you really want to try a different method of stacking the wood, you could always do something like this.

View attachment 108909

Or this:

View attachment 108910

Dennis that is very impressive but I dont think that truck will be dried out in time for this winter:p

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
T-posts????? >> Well, we'll forgive you anyway. ;)
Why are they so bad I see lots of people using them? I dont yet have the stacking skill sets that you possess:( but Im working on it.

It's not bad by itself but it saves a lot of dollars doing without and the stacks look nicer. I do a lot of kidding about this but many still use the t-posts. I simply save the t-posts for what they were meant for and that is building fences. Learning to crib the ends is really quick and easy; very simple. T-posts are not exactly cheap.

As others have said . . . if you're planning on using this wood sooner rather later you need to get splitting.

Split smaller than you need to . . . stack loose . . . single rows would be best . . . exposure to sun and wind is good . . . for best results leave exposed unless it is going to rain or snow and then top cover.

As for the location . . . listen to your wife as long as her requests are not completely unreasonable. My wife asked me about moving some woodstacks out of the front yard as she likes to have the front yard uncluttered. She didn't mind waiting for a bit as I only moved the stacks when it was time to move them into the woodshed . . . and the location she suggested actually turned out to be an even better area as I have a better staging area, folks passing by cannot see my stacks as well and it's in an area that was getting little use before. Wife is happy . . . and I am happy.

Matt being that your wood is already split you could try restacking and cribbing/log cabin stacking the ends as a practice effort, just pick pieces that are similar sized(I like the internal squares the best) and start with 2 level skids. Pick through the pile and work each end up a few courses, anything that doesn't work for the ends gets stacked in the middle - set any uglies (twisted, knots etc) aside for the top.
Pieces that are two short to go across the stack can be matched with similar splits and stacked parallel across a level set of splits within the stack - I do this all the time.
As you work up check the end for plumb, nudge the stack either way to straighten it up, and use a wider split to tie the cribbed ends into the center of the pile every few courses

Or you could build some racks out of PT 2x4's figure a 10' x 5' could be built for $20 and should last for many years, your wife may actually like the neatness a rack provides;)

Reactions: mattjm1017
Im going to play with it this weekend and see what I can done. Im supposed to go get more wood this weekend and go to Richmond for the day on Sat. (have to keep the wife happy) so Im not seeing much being done with the existing stack, but Im going to do my best.

Status
Not open for further replies.