Loud noise from Nap 1402

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Squiner

Hearth Supporter
Aug 22, 2008
Maryland
I just loaded the Napoleon 1402 insert, stove was about 200 deg F since it has been cooling all day I was at work. I heard a loud bang like one of the tools fell on the top of the stove. Looked over an nothing had fallen. I assume it was the plate expanding but it was so loud it's hard to believe and it's never happened before. Any chance that it was more serious than just expansion?

Thanks

I'd let it cool down overnight and do a detailed weld check tomorrow.

BeGreen said:

Are you just being caution with that recommendation or is that noise indicative of a weld popping?

It's weird that it happened at such a low temperature

What's a popped weld in a stove look like? I'm curious.

Pagey said:

It can be anything from a hairline crack to a quarter inch wide gap like I had in my old stove.

BrotherBart said:
Pagey said:

It can be anything from a hairline crack to a quarter inch wide gap like I had in my old stove.

Okay. Please entertain my ignorance. How does one find a popped weld? How does it affect stove performance/safety? Thank you, kind sir.

It would depend on where it occurred. It might just be a baffle bracket or it could be a primary weld in the stove box. Inspection should happen after the stove is totally cleaned. Use a bright inspection light or flashlight and examine all the welded seams, inside and out for fractures, hairline cracks or evidence of leakage. Also look for cracks at the door opening.

BeGreen said:
It would depend on where it occurred. It might just be a baffle bracket or it could be a primary weld in the stove box. Inspection should happen after the stove is totally cleaned. Use a bright inspection light or flashlight and examine all the welded seams, inside and out for fractures, hairline cracks or evidence of leakage. Also look for cracks at the door opening.

Sounds like a lot of places to check. Thanks for the insight.

Yes, and normally I wouldn't do this unless I heard a loud, unusual noise coming from the stove or if it's performance suddenly changed.

The place to start is the door. Go over it with a strong light. When cast iron cracks it is noisy.

BeGreen said:

Well I took your advice and did a full cleaning.

On the insert there is one large N-S oriented secondary air tube. On the tube there is a metal plate attached to it with three bolts. The front bolt was loose when I was tearing it apart. Checked all the welds, looked good. When putting it back together I couldn't tighten that front bolt because the threads were stripped. The loud noise must have been that bolt stripping out.

While I was in there I was able to take care of some small leaks that I found at the beginning of the season. Used some furnace cement. See the leak in the link below.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/47163/

Thanks for the help, I feel much better now. I hated to hear the furnace kick on last night!

I have heard my 1401 make a metallic "bong" type of noise. I think what's happening is that you have flat steel plates that make up the firebox and the shroud. A flat plate can deform because of the heat, where the center of the plate forms a bulge. If this plate is bulged in from the last fire, when you heat up the stove on the next fire, it could pop and bulge to the outside. This effect is best illustrated by these popping disks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iftAfRfDn_A

Squiner,
Now I dont know just how loud that noise was but i've had a similar noise while restarting mine.
Happened a couple of times. Didnt know where it came from the first time, then realized it was from the stove. What i figured out it was was the logs ignighting while sitting on the hot coals. Bang !!! And it was quite loud.
As you said nothing had fallen ???
Started leaving air all open and door ajar until logs flame up just a bit or kindling/newspaper restart if the coals were too low. Has not happened since but you will have to keep an eye on things and dont forget that the door is cracked if you go that way. Cant tell you that this was your situation, just food for thought........
A little help from my friends hear on the site helped me figure that one out.
rn

Status
Not open for further replies.