Q&A Loud Pilot Light on gas fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I recently purchased a townhouse that has a ventless gas fireplace. I'm concerned because the pilot light flame is about three inches long- and it is awfully noisy. Is this something that I should worry about? I'm leaving the pilot light off when not in use until I get some more answers on this. Also- how many BTU/hr does the average pilot light use? Thanks.

Answer:

Pilots can use from 100 to as much as 500+ BTU/Hour..still not enough to add too much to your energy bill. Many units do have an adjustment screw that can turn a pilot light down...however- I think this may not be available in Vent-Free units. Contact the manufacturer or retailer.You may be on the high end when it comes to gas pressure..and this can also cause the noisy pilot. Also- different room and fireplace designs can amplify the heat more...causing you to hear it as louder

Status
Not open for further replies.