Loud POP from insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

newburner

Burning Hunk
Aug 26, 2014
Massachusetts
Century CW2500

I heard a loud pop from the insert in today's burn. It was louder than the usual heat-up and cool-down clicks and pops and it only happened once. It happened at mid burn around 700°.

My son was playing with his Hotwheels cars in the room and the noise was so loud that my first thought was that he threw a car at the insert and it hit the surround. I asked him if that's what happened but he said no.

I removed the surround and looked as as many welds as I could see but everything looks good. I obviously cant see the back.

My question is does anyone know what it might have been? Is there anything I can watch for on the next burn that would indicate a problem?

most stoves I've been around have occasionally made a louder than normal popping noise. That being said, once the fire is out I would inspect the inside with a flashlight paying close attention to the welds. If nothing is found then on your next fire watch for things out of the ordinary like fire burning hotter than normal at a particular draft setting.

Thanks. The sound was definitely metallic in nature. It sounded like it came from the exterior. As opposed to the wood popping.

Well, I used to be a little boy, and I can remember when I did something wrong, I might have lied to my parents if I thought it would keep me out of trouble.

Lay a level on top of it. Steel stoves like to be as level as the jig they were welded in. Or they will talk loudly to you.

Well, I used to be a little boy, and I can remember when I did something wrong, I might have lied to my parents if I thought it would keep me out of trouble.
Lol, you are right on there. I did the same. There are two things make me believe him though. First, he's 2. He hasn't gotten to the age where he can associate telling a lie with getting out of trouble. Secondly, and most compelling, there are no cars to be found lying near the insert.
Lay a level on top of it. Steel stoves like to be as level as the jig they were welded in. Or they will talk loudly to you.
Thanks Bart, I'm heading to get my level now.

Status
Not open for further replies.