Lousy job of felling a tree

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leftyscott

Hearth Supporter
Apr 6, 2009
arkansas
Never had one do this to me.
I think my felling cut was a little high or maybe my outside notch was too low.
Either way, it pizzed me off, 'cause I was not paying attention. Need to do better next time.

At least the tree fell where I wanted it to.

Attachments

• tree.jpg
    tree.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 1,278
leftyscott said:
Either way, it pizzed me off, 'cause I was not paying attention. Need to do better next time.

Did you have any lean to the tree before felling.

zap

It is called a "barber chair". And can take your head off if you are leaning over the saw when it happens.

Worked in the woods on Saturday . . . and managed to get 3 1/2 trees hung up . . . felling trees is not "my thing" . . . on the flip side . . . I walked out of the woods without injury . . . and with 1 1/2 loads of wood . . . it was a good day.

leftyscott said:

#1 no one hurt.
#2 nothing destroyed.
Its a tree, they don't always do what we expect or want.

After I started really getting into wood cutting and talking more to her about felling trees, my wife bought it for me. I think she was (is) afraid I'm going to hurt/kill myself.
It is a great book. Good for a rookie and probably still good for an old pro as well.

BrotherBart said:
It is called a "barber chair". And can take your head off if you are leaning over the saw when it happens.

+1 , time to take your chain saw keys away.
Pay attention, sometimes they don't give you a 2nd chance.

mainstation said:
BrotherBart said:

+1 , time to take your chain saw keys away.
Pay attention, sometimes they don't give you a 2nd chance.

yep, from what I understand, many a man has died this way

Yes the barber chair, usually happens on a tree leaning heavily to one side. I also had it happen to a cherry that was ant eaten on the inside. It started cracking way too early, so I walked away and let it do its thing. Even on a leaner you have to put a notch in.

I had a cherry tree split the entire length that way. It happens so fast you can't even see it, and makes a sound you won't ever forget. I was really stupid with mine as it was leaning way out from a bank. I was ignorant enough to think I wouldn't need a notch to direct the fall. As soon as I hit the pith, the tree exploded and I found myself 20 feet away (by my own locomotion) with the saw still idling in the cut. That's how I found out you always notch and make a proper back cut.

Glad to see you only got a lesson and didn't become a statistic. :)

Fill in the blank (cause I can not remember) You always have to notch a tree unless it is smaller than_____ inches.

I have only had one do it in all these years but it got my attention. White oak caught the bill and knocked the Husky hat off my head.

A Come To Jesus Moment.

Find a Game of Logging class. They will teach you how to fell so that never happens.

But it is a two part story. Next ya gotta get the thing on the ground.

School of Hard Knocks ?

Never had one come back at me, but trying to finish that cut with all that pressure on a thin sliver can be scarey as hell throwing the saw around, too. I've gone and gotten a hand saw to finish a maple because I just knew I was gonna get hurt.

That 'barber chair' 'sound' is most certainly not a sound you ever forget.
I heard it as soon as I looked at the pic.

I've had a few maples and cherries do that to me.
Even cutting 'by the book'.

Cant say for sure but wheres the notch?

smokinjay said:
Cant say for sure but wheres the notch?

I don't see a notch either. I was thinking since it was leaning maybe it was "thought" a notch wasn't needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.