Love-Less ash vac

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chad

Hearth Supporter
Sep 20, 2007
Hi, all!

Does anyone have any experience with the Love-Less ash vacuum? From what I've read it looks like you can suck up hot ashes and embers with it, which would be great if it works like it should. A store here in town has them on sale for $159. The canister is some kind of steel, and decorative with a winter scene.

chad said:
Hi, all!

Does anyone have any experience with the Love-Less ash vacuum? From what I've read it looks like you can suck up hot ashes and embers with it, which would be great if it works like it should. A store here in town has them on sale for $159. The canister is some kind of steel, and decorative with a winter scene.

I have one. They work as advertised but are a bit loud. They are not for HOT ashes though. Cool and warm ashes are OK. I use mine to clean up around my stove and around the ashpan, doors, inside, around andirons, etc. They're a lot safer to use than a house vacuum as they are purpose built for this task. Using a house vacuum to clean up ashes near a wood stove is a fire danger. You could suck up a hot ember and it could smolder and catch fire in the bag at a later time. For $159 I'd say that is a good price and is probably worth doing to have a clean hearth/stove and piece of mind. The other advantage is they have a double (fire resistant) filter system that doesn't blow the fine ashes all around your room when you use it.

I have one and use it to clean out my Pellet Stove. I have heard about converting a shop vac by purchasing the special filters but I like the idea of being able to suck up warm embers without the fear of a fire. That is a very good price as well!

I bought one and used it for a while. I eventually put it up on ebay and got rid of it because I didn't find it to be all that helpful. Any ashes that get on the hearth I sweep with a small broom and then throw them back into the stove. Maybe a bit more dusty than the vacuum, but it saves me a lot of time. I don't let hot embers get out of the stove. I found it to be more hassle than its worth to drag the thing out, and I can shovel ash out of the firebox faster than it could vacuum them up. I also had a small collection of embers catch fire inside the vacuum when I first got it and figured I could vacuum up the ash from around the embers. That was before my shovel sifter came along.

I use a shovel with holes drilled in it to sift the hot coals from the ash, then use a different shovel to carefully shovel the ash into my bucket. Leaning the bucket into the firebox keeps any spilled ash where it belongs.

--- Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.