Love My Jotul F 3CB

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FireRod

Aug 22, 2014
Blackwood, NJ
Getting back with a report on my new/used Jotul F 3CB woodstove. Well we haven't had really cold weather yet. It has only gotten down to 39° here in So. Jersey. I have fired up the stove on a few occasions to take the chill off the house and have been amazed how long this stove retains it's heat. I guess when you have a lot of heavy iron this will happen. I have also enjoyed how efficient this stove burns slow, right down to ash, along with reloads hours and hours apart. I think this stove is going to prove it was a good choice for my little house of 900 sq. ft. So, I just wanted to say thanks again for all the help I received from everybody on this forum.

Also I bought a Condar Medallion thermostat for my stove. Is it better to keep it on the stovetop or the chimney? Any suggestions using this thermostat temp wise on my stove will be appreciated.

I'm right with you there, Rod. We love our newly installed F3. It's super duper easy to use. The small wood loads seem to last a fair amount of time, and it burns clean and hot with nice dry wood. Our house is just about the same size as yours, and it heats it well. It's pretty awesome to know that we can now heat the house very well and not use a single watt of juice.

The manual says to place the magnetic thermo on the back right hand corner of the stove top. We have a Condar as well, and it seems to work great to visually monitor the running temps, however if you use an IR temp gun you'll notice that the temps can range by a wide margin all over the stove. Different areas of the stove top can even vary more than 100F depending what the fire is up to.

Here's our burner doing its thing. (break in fire)

Congratulation. The F3CB is a great little stove with a willing hearth. The Medallion is definitely a stove top thermometer. You can use the highlighted, gold area of temps as the normal running temp range for the stove. If you are between 450 and 650 you are golden. With good wood and a full load the stove will cruise around 600-650F for about 30? minutes, then slow decline in temp over the course of then next 3-4 hrs.

Status
Not open for further replies.