Low draft voltage adj on P43

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilstro1951

Feb 4, 2015
Pa
I have a P43 harman, with OAK. If I adjust the low draft voltage higher to get a hotter burn, does the stove draw cold air faster and. Cause the ESP to burn more fuel?
Another question, running stove in auto does running stove temp blower higher use more fuel?

Welcome!

A hotter burn is going to use more fuel and air. That's how it works. As for the distribution blower being turned up and using more fuel just heat your house to where you want it temperature wise. This has been debated many times here and there are threads you can do a search for. I run my blower on high and I set the temp where I want it to be. I have not messed with the low draft at all.

There is a nice long debate on these very questions that took place just awhile back. Maybe a few weeks ago. I am sure others will chime in with their thoughts.

Adjust the exhaust fan to what the vacuum the manual states. To much air will flow the heat by the exchangers faster and waste heat out the exhaust. Slower and the stove will soot up and exchangers not be able to extract heat as ash and soot is a very good insulator. Remember this is a smart stove that adjusts fan and feed rates the manufacture has tested to be best hopefully and needs you to set the fan rate to what they have tested and programmed the stove at.

Manufacture adjusts low draft midway, but to me it draws excess heat out exhaust.
Wouldn't drawing in more cold air also create colder fire?

The ESP is in the exhaust pathway and monitors its temp. You can search and find many cases of bad gaskets making the stove feed more fuel to try and make up the difference. The CB algorithm changes feed to exhaust fan speed. Page 22 of the manual says to try and set the draft as low as possible on the low fire. Low fire or maintenance fire is probably where the most heat would be lost as the stove is not calling for heat and probably like mine not running the room fan.

Drawing in more cold air (oxygen dense) will make a fire burn hotter if fuel needs are met. Oxygen - Fuel - Heat The more you have the hotter the fire. The stove's feed rate and what not has parameters for this all to work well together. Why upset the apple cart? The fire would be hotter with more oxygen and fuel thrown in creating more heat. Not cooler. The key is to capture and use that heat. Heat going out the exhaust is not helping to heat your home.

Before messing with widgets, knobs, settings, and stuff you need to have the proper equipment and knowledge to do so. Things come set up from the factory for a reason. Sure you can get more umph out of stuff but ya better have what you need and know what you are doing. Don't fix it unless it's broken.

If it's a new stove set it and forget it. Get to know it or you will drive yourself nuts with the what if's........

So we say leave it at factory settings, well, both my Harman were way higher than the book says, why? Do we need to strike a balance between enough heat for the house and enough for the pipe, too cool in the pipe would be an eventual problem right?

So we say leave it at factory settings, well, both my Harman were way higher than the book says, why? Do we need to strike a balance between enough heat for the house and enough for the pipe, too cool in the pipe would be an eventual problem right?
The ESP makes sure the exhaust is a minimum temp(130 I believe)on Harmans. So blowing out extra out the venting is a waste.

Status
Not open for further replies.