Low Flue Gas Temp Issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wkpoor

Minister of Fire
Oct 30, 2008
Amanda, OH
A couple weeks ago I started a thread about low flue gas temps from the Nashua. Got alot of got advise for things to look at. Nothing resolved at this point. However, I just sold my other Nashua (identical stove ) to a friend that needs to heat a large work shop area. His other stove just wasn't getting the job done, not even close. Talked to him yesterday and he is very happy with the heat output of the Nashua. He claims heat feels 4 xs better at a 1/3 the fuel usage. Then he asks me whats up with the cold stove pipe. He said " the baffle plate is cherry red and the heat is just pouring off and I can put my hand on the stove pipe". I said that's the same problem I've got and can't figure it out. He said the old stove was exactly the opposite, not much heat coming from the stove but the pipe was smokin hot. Now this is either a weird coincidence we have the same problem, or.....its just the design of the stove that makes it so effecient. This is one time I wish something was a little less effecient.

Is the baffle getting that hot with the blower running? With the heat exchanger as part of the baffle, it is an efficient design. I can see how this would noticeably drop the flue temps. He might want to inspect for any cracks in the side to make sure that air isn't entering where it shouldn't.

wkpoor, with a hot fire and no fan running the baffle will get cherry red, I always ran the fan when I had a medium to large fire, that could be the answer to the problem.

Fan on or not has no effect. I took the fan off mine last yr and Kip tried his with and without a fan. I found a small crack on mine on the side but its not in the flue gas area. We inspected the one I sold him out in the daylight and found no cracks.

Are the stove pipe and collar connections air tight? Take a lighter and see if the flame gets sucked in the joints.

The only time in 30 years of running my Nashua that the baffle got red hot was once when I forgot to turn the fan on.

I don't have a manual for this stove but is sure seems like it is designed for good, continuous airflow through the baffle. I'm wondering if the baffle is clogged or the fan is turning too slowly and needs a good cleaning and oiling.

kgrant said:
Are the stove pipe and collar connections air tight? Take a lighter and see if the flame gets sucked in the joints.
I have tried that and yes there is some leakage. However I'm using the same black stove pipe most people use and doubt it leaks any different. By design it can't seal perfectly. So I have ruled that out for now. The smoke path is such there is alot of surface area for the heat to transfer. If I were running a blower fan the problem would be even worse. Kip is running a fan on his and said the air off the stove outlets a foot away will burn ya but he can rest his hand on the stove pipe right above the stove.

You said a while back the stove had been cleaned out correct, I had a lot of ash buildup around the baffle in the back and on top.

It would be interesting to see what the actual temperatures are if possible.

If your stovepipe is that cool, I'm wondering how you are able to achieve such a strong fire. Seems that draft would be so sluggish that getting the fire to really cook would be tough. What am I missing here - figure there's something new to learn. Cheers!

oldspark said:
You said a while back the stove had been cleaned out correct, I had a lot of ash buildup around the baffle in the back and on top.
I pull the pipe off the back of the stove 2-3 times a week to check pipe and stove. There is some soot on top of the baffle but thats about it. Anything that falls down the pipe and accumulates I sweep out regularly. This has "baffled" me , hehehehe since the first time I fired this stove. My old stove would fire the pipe nearly same temp as stove top which made it easy to maintain a clean chimney. But it didn't put off nearly as much heat either.

NH_Wood said:
If your stovepipe is that cool, I'm wondering how you are able to achieve such a strong fire. Seems that draft would be so sluggish that getting the fire to really cook would be tough. What am I missing here - figure there's something new to learn. Cheers!
Draft on my chimney has never been an issue. Must be the length.

Status
Not open for further replies.