Low heat or not getting enough heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cwshop

Dec 9, 2021
Maine
I have an older Jotul 3DVII that I got used from a friend of mine this fall. I had someone install it as far as putting in a liner and the local fuel place installed a propane tank and line. The stove lights but does not seem to heat the space very much even with the doors closed; roughly 13x13 . There are two outer walls but they are both thick brick so not too much loss there. I had the fuel company check the regulator outside today and they said it was fine (didn't give me details). My friend also came and took out the burner tubes and tried to blow out the jet; it didn't seem to change things much. You can feel it giving off some heat but you can leave it on all evening with the doors closed and it gets slightly warmer than the other rooms; plus it has a vent from the oil hot air furnace so it's getting some heat from that as well. Thoughts?

Hard to get a good angle but here's a shot

IMG_20211209_111729.jpg

I just had it all apart and put back together, yes that seems to be as far back as it goes. I also opened the air shutter all the way open per the manual (lp) . Here's a picture after doing that, doesn't really look any better. The manual says the back flames should be 3-4 inches high but they basically don't come above the log at all.

IMG_20211209_165418.jpg

Have you done a pressure test on the gas valve itself?
There are two ports on the front of the valve, one for
gas pressure coming in & the other for gas pressure coming out.
You need to see what the pressure is going to the burner.

So after taking it apart yesterday and opening up the air shutter, it fired up fine and I took the most recent picture above. I let it run for maybe an hour and then left the house but left the stove on with my daughter there. She didn't notice but shortly after I left my wife came home and the stove had shut itself down. Now I can't get it to start at all. I also don't have any tools to check the pressure.

If you haven't tried this already, go to this page and put in your city/zip code, and find a Jotul Dealer in your vicinity of Maine. They should be able to recommend an experienced technician. I counted 11 Jotul Dealers in Maine.

I've called several people and they are either too busy and not accepting new customers or booking months out...

Just tried to light it again and this time the pilot light lights, but it does not stay lit after releasing the button. Hard to say if all of my problems are related?

Sorry to hear you are having such a problem finding someone. Does your stove have electronic ignition? I assume it does. How long are you holding the knob in after the pilot light lights? I find that sometimes after the pilot light lights, I have to hold the knob in for up to 30 seconds to get the pilot light to stay lit.

Sorry to hear you are having such a problem finding someone. Does your stove have electronic ignition? I assume it does. How long are you holding the knob in after the pilot light lights? I find that sometimes after the pilot light lights, I have to hold the knob in for up to 30 seconds to get the pilot light to stay lit.
It's a push button ignition that when i push it each time it sparks, and i can see the spark. I tried leaving the knob in for up to 75 seconds on my longest attempt and it still didn't light.

• Sad
Reactions: Dan Freeman
ok, what are the odds, but the gauge on the tank was stuck and we ran out of propane. So I'm getting it filled and once that's done may be back to the original problem .....

• Wow
Reactions: Dan Freeman