Low height...what are my best options?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

portcityamps

Sep 3, 2023
Asheville, NC
Hello all. First post here. Thanks in advance. We are wanting to add a wood burning stove in place of the current fire place. The issue I am having is the height of our fire place has a height of just a bit over 27". The width is 24" at the back and over 36" at the front. Depth is 24" however there is another 17" of rock flooring that we can use. What would you recommend?

I think you will have many more choices if you look at inserts and not free standing stoves. I have a stove in my fireplace that was 29” high. There are lots of inserts and you don’t always have to use the the surround. I have an insert too with out the surround. Looks better this way if you want a more modern look.

Reactions: begreen
Some stoves have short leg options suck as Woodstock and Jotul so keep that in mind while shopping.

How big an area are you trying to heat? Is this for part-time heating as you are in Asheville so you don’t have hard winters nor long. How is the house? Insulated well or not? What is the primary heat source? Some of these answers may help get the recommendations you are looking for.