Low hours MS 362 C-M (or C)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Red

Jan 21, 2016
Onondaga NY
Found on Craigs List a low hours MS 362 C-M. Emailed the seller and he responds it says MS 362 C on the saw but 362 C-M on the manual that came with it. Can I tell the difference? Does it make a difference. I'm just going to be cutting up logs. Honestly I am a not that experienced with chainsaws. I've been cutting with an 024 AV for over 20 years; thinking it might be time to step up.

The "C" means chassis or comfort basically means the saw has the spring anti vibe system. Your older 024av probably has the rubber bumpers for anti vibe.

The "M" stands for mtronic which is Stihls fuel management system. It's the auto adjusting carburetor similar to the auto tune on Husky and Jonsereds. All newer saws are eventually going to have this type of system thanks to emission requirements. I thought all 362s were mtronic. I'm sure the saw has it if it's a 362. It's a great feature and works as advertised. You wont need to adjust the carburetor based on the weather conditions, etc. I have an auto tune Jonsered similar to the mtronic and it works. Saw just runs at it's best whether it's -5 degrees below zero or 80 degrees in the summer.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: Old Red
I thought all 362s were mtronic. I'm sure the saw has it if it's a 362.

This is incorrect, the earlier 362's were conventional saws, not M-tronic. As to how to tell the difference, here's a picture I just swiped from a Google Image search.

maxresdefault.jpg

See the three holes in the orange top cover, just behind the top handle? Those holes are where you'd insert a little screwdriver to adjust the conventional carburetor. The newer M-Tronic versions won't have those holes because there's nothing back there to adjust.

I didn't know that the early 362 were not mtronic. However I'm not a Stihl guy as much as I am Husky so I don't keep up with their products as much as others.

To the original posters question as to if he needs it or can tell the difference, I'd say no not really. The auto tuning technology hasn't been around that long and we all used conventional saws just fine before it. If your handy at adjusting carburetors then no it's even more not necessary. But it sure is a nice feature to have.

After an 024, that's gonna be an eye opener. Congratulations.

And wait till you get half a dozen tanks of fuel through it. It will start to really wake up. That saw with an 18" bar and stihl full chisel chain is like running a light saber.

Nice saw run it for awhile and let us know what you think. The power upgrade should make you happy.

I've had my -362 CM for almost 2 years, love it!

I think you're gonna like that saw!

Good luck.

Reactions: Turbo
The 024/240 is a nice little saw, but it is in a completely different league than the 036/36X models. Its kinda like comparing a wheel barrow to a pickup truck.

So was it a C, or a C-M?

If it's missing the holes I'm sure it has to have the m tronic

I'm not sure if the mtronic works the same way huskys auto tune does, but my Jonsered 2252 ( same as Husky version) which has auto tune, takes up to 3 minutes to learn the environment before it will run well. The auto tune adjusts for atmosphere, temp, humidity, etc so it runs crappy for a few minutes, then bam it turns into a screamer !

So if you experience this, don't worry its probably the mtronic system adjusting to the cutting conditions.

Reactions: Turbo
If it's missing the holes I'm sure it has to have the m tronic

I'm not sure if the mtronic works the same way huskys auto tune does, but my Jonsered 2252 ( same as Husky version) which has auto tune, takes up to 3 minutes to learn the environment before it will run well. The auto tune adjusts for atmosphere, temp, humidity, etc so it runs crappy for a few minutes, then bam it turns into a screamer !

So if you experience this, don't worry its probably the mtronic system adjusting to the cutting conditions.

Old Red, Woodhog73 is correct about the mtronic, for example, if your running your saw in 70F weather, tell it sit for 2 months and then run it again at 15F weather, with the older fuel, you'll likely find that it will really smoke and run tough for a few minutes. Let it warm up (which you should always do anyway) then run it into a piece of wood that will load the engine a bit, after about four cuts you'll notice it will really come around, then after 5 mins of cutting, you'll think your into butter....haha Enjoy you're got a nice saw. What length bar is it?

Congrats and good luck with it! Did I miss it, or what did you pay for that?

Congrats and good luck with it! Did I miss it, or what did you pay for that?

The seller had recently purchased it and then decided he didn't want it. The dealer he purchased from (for $759 or thereabouts) would only give him store credit less a 15% restocking fee. He'd listed it on CL for $700 and then after a couple weeks dropped it to $575; that's when I called him. He was firm on that price and perhaps if I'd waited he might've come down but I wanted the saw so I said okay. Seller has a business and kept the original receipt. Maybe when he puts it towards his income tax it was the better play. I'm not an accountant.

I asked why he was selling. He said he though he wanted it and would sell his old Husky but then thought eh . . Who knows what he was thinking. Maybe it was an impulse buy. Haven't we all done that?

Reactions: TreePointer
I'd give $575 for that saw all day long! Good deal, I'm a little jealous. If you waited, someone else would've snatched it up

It's nice having a bigger saw for the bigger jobs. I take it you are happy with your purchase.

Reactions: Old Red
Status
Not open for further replies.