Q&A low pressure condition/cold air return

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I'm reading in my wood stove manual that i should "avoid creating a low pressure condition in the room where the stove is operating. Operating an exhaust fan or clothes dryer could create a low pressure area, causing poisonous gases to come out..." following this line, i'm wondering if i need be concerned with the proximity of the cold air return for my forced air furnace to my woodstove (the woodstove is secondary heat). I imagine that the furnace will not run when the stove is fired excepting when it's being lit... if this is a potential problem, can i overcome it by supplying adequate combustion air? if so, where do i find the numbers on the quantity of air that must be supplied?

Answer:

I believe (not positive) that the International One and Two Family Dwelling code calls for a cold air return to be at least 10 ft away from a woodstove. It seems to me that you would also want to make sure that if your woodstove and cold air return are in the same room, that the room not have a tight closing door on it. The cold air return needs to get air from a relatively large common area, not just one room.

As far as overcoming a reversal by providing outside combustion air, that will certainly help but it would still be possible to get a reversal under very extreme conditions. If your cold air return can get adequate air from a large common area, (IE: Rec. room hallway, kitchen..dining, family..dining, etc.) I wouldn't worry much about the reversal. Go ahead and install outside combustion air to the stove. Most stoves take a 4" air inlet but you'll need to confirm that in your stove installation instructions. In any event, Make sure and get a good quality CO detector. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.