Low priced stove inserts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrowningBAR

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jul 22, 2008
San Tan Valley, AZ
Hoping to get a second stove installed and trying to keep my costs down as much as possible. Any suggestions on lower end models? Apart from Craigslist and Ebay are their any other sites that list used stoves?

Nice looking dog, and $38 per cord, what??? are you selling or buying for that?

The only thing I can say is the difference between a smaller and larger unit isn't great, when new at least, and I'd buy the size that works best. Used will of course be the lowest cost if you can find anything.

You're not far from Philadelphia, there must be a lot of used stuff in your area.

Jerry_NJ said:
Nice looking dog, and $38 per cord, what??? are you selling or buying for that?

The only thing I can say is the difference between a smaller and larger unit isn't great, when new at least, and I'd buy the size that works best. Used will of course be the lowest cost if you can find anything.

You're not far from Philadelphia, there must be a lot of used stuff in your area.

The dog is a rescue from a place in Quakertown called Last Chance Ranch. Hell of a dog; smart, kind, loves people, and extremely easy going. I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would have abandoned him. The $38 per cord is what it has cost me so far in wood for the next two years. I got lucky and found a nice stash on the cheap.

Right now there isn't much on Craigslist in the PA, NJ, NY area. If you happen to see anything feel free to let me know!

Webmaster said:
Stove inserts?
Is this for a fireplace?
If so, do you have pics and approx. dimensions? A "hearth stove" is often a more effective and lower cost option than an insert.

It is for a fireplace. The dimensions are 35 3/4" wide, 25 3/4" high, and 29 1/2" deep.

I'll post some picks in a bit.

25 3/4 may be a little on the tight fit side when you go to hook up the liner. look for short and wide with a large firbox

May be hard to find used.

ml said:
25 3/4 may be a little on the tight fit side when you go to hook up the liner. look for short and wide with a large firbox

May be hard to find used.

Yes, you are correct. I do know that the Napoleon 1101 will fit in and I believe the larger VC Winter Warmer would have fit, also.

Finding a good used insert may be a bit tough, normally there are more decent used stoves out there than inserts. How large is the space that you want to heat? One that would fit is the Jotul C450 insert. It's well made and good looking. But several medium sized stoves could work. A low cost new insert from Englander or Drolet might also be worth looking into.

Or you might consider picking up a rear-exit, freestanding stove from Jotul or Morso and putting it on the hearth in front of the fireplace opening (with a damper blocking plate). The hearth will probably need extending, but that's doable.

BeGreen said:
Finding a good used insert may be a bit tough, normally there are more decent used stoves out there than inserts. How large is the space that you want to heat? One that would fit is the Jotul C450 insert. It's well made and good looking. But several medium sized stoves could work. A low cost new insert from Englander or Drolet might also be worth looking into.

Or you might consider picking up a rear-exit, freestanding stove from Jotul or Morso and putting it on the hearth in front of the fireplace opening (with a damper blocking plate). The hearth will probably need extending, but that's doable.

Thanks for passing along the info on the Drolet. I actually had not come across that insert before.

The idea of having a stand alone stove in front of the fireplace is a good idea, but the room prohibits this as it is the kitchen and the additional space a free standing stove requires would cause too many problems.

Hey, at $38 per cord (Hard wood assumed), you can "afford" to burn in an open fireplace... I'm not really making fun, there are some better than open hearth arrangements that aren't up to the efficiency of an airtight..because they are a near airtight. Years ago I had just a cheap set of glass doors (bet I wasn't supposed to close them when the fire was going, but I did and did for about 10 years) and a Sears forced air heat exchanger that had a flat air vent across the width of the fireplace, it fit under the glass doors. Those were cheap energy days, and I had natural gas hot water baseboard heat, worked great, so the fireplace was mostly for fun, but I did want to have at least a small heat gain.

I bet a good quality set of doors and a similar heat exchanger, I've seen them on the web, could be an option. It will allow you to throttle the burn rate and will stop the rush of air up the chimney, as well as stop most of the air flow when you let the fire die down, before you can close the damper.

Is your puppy winking at us with his left eye :)

Status
Not open for further replies.