Low sun angle caught on road weather camera

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
bogydave said:
Click on "loop"
Sun angle pretty low, & getting lower.
You can watch the clock for time of day.
http://www.dot.state.ak.us/iways/ro...?areaId=9&perspectiveId=1&siteId=230&viewId=1
Thought is was cool, NO, I take that back It Was "COLD", High to day got to 12, no or very little heat from the sun

BogyDave, what part of alaska are you in? I was just up in Tok (40 Mile air out on a moose hunt). took two days and spent a night in Valdez doing the tourist thing. The drive down to Tok is the prettiest drive I've ever done. I've seen a lot of Alaska and the Lower 48 and I can't think of anything that comes close to Wrangell's/St Elias and Prince William Sound. Maybe Kenai Fjords or yellowstone.

mbcijim said:
bogydave said:
Click on "loop"
http://www.dot.state.ak.us/iways/ro...?areaId=9&perspectiveId=1&siteId=230&viewId=1
Thought is was cool, NO, I take that back It Was "COLD", High to day got to 12, no or very little heat from the sun

BogyDave, what part of alaska are you in? I was just up in Tok (40 Mile air out on a moose hunt). took two days and spent a night in Valdez doing the tourist thing. The drive down to Tok is the prettiest drive I've ever done. I've seen a lot of Alaska and the Lower 48 and I can't think of anything that comes close to Wrangell's/St Elias and Prince William Sound. Maybe Kenai Fjords or yellowstone.

Cool trip I bet.
Matanuska Valley, between Palmer & Wasilla.
I've driven almost every road we have. Been to the Arctic Circle, Adak Island for a couple weeks, Drove the Alcan, Flown remote out hunting, worked at a remote camp (airplane access only) for years.
Hunted the Mts for sheep & goat, hiked glaciers. Snow machined frozen rivers for many miles out to remote cabins. (Just not many roads until the water freezes). River boated way out on many rivers fishing & hunting.
I still see places, things & wildlife that are just breathtaking.
I've seen just a fraction of Alaska.

Awesome. I worked over by Glennallen for a few summers as a teenager. They invited me back when I graduated college but I knew if I went up I wouldn't come back to Pennsylvania. Probably the only decision in my life I question. That said, I couldn't handle 7-8 months of winter. Alaska is a special place. That's for sure!

bogydave said:
mbcijim said:
bogydave said:
Click on "loop"

Cool trip I bet.
I've driven almost every road we have. Been to the Arctic Circle, Adak Island for a couple weeks, Drove the Alcan, Flown remote out hunting, worked at a remote camp (airplane access only) for years.
Hunted the Mts for sheep & goat, hiked glaciers. Snow machined frozen rivers for many miles out to remote cabins. (Just not many roads until the water freezes). River boated way out on many rivers fishing & hunting.

Neat . . . you'll practically be neighbors with my sister and her husband . . . after years of renting a ramshackle cabin in Portage they're buying a place in Wasilla . . . she's pretty excited since this place will have running water AND central heat . . . no more stopping at the road-side spring, paying for showers in Girdwood and coming home to the cabin at -40 degrees F.

firefighterjake said:
bogydave said:
mbcijim said:
bogydave said:
Click on "loop"

Cool trip I bet.

Neat . . . you'll practically be neighbors with my sister and her husband . . . after years of renting a ramshackle cabin in Portage they're buying a place in Wasilla . . . she's pretty excited since this place will have running water AND central heat . . . no more stopping at the road-side spring, paying for showers in Girdwood and coming home to the cabin at -40 degrees F.

Well when you come to visit in August, you'll have a nice place to stay. Convince them you can help set up a woodstove for them, cut some wood & catch some fish. ;)
They are leaving some of the wind behind, & it will be a little dryer & warmer.
Portage area in Turnagin Arm makes it own weather, well they know that I'm sure. Lots of glaciers, & beautiful place surrounded by MTs. I was there once in the summer with no wind & blue sky, & only needed a jacket, rare but it happens :) Rain,wind & cooler there, so they are moving to a new warmer climate. Not close the any ski resort though.
Good for them on getting into their own home & a house with indoor plumbing. :)

bogydave said:
firefighterjake said:
bogydave said:
mbcijim said:
bogydave said:
Click on "loop"

Cool trip I bet.

Well when you come to visit in August, you'll have a nice place to stay. Convince them you can help set up a woodstove for them, cut some wood & catch some fish. ;)
Portage area in Turnagin Arm makes it own weather, well they know that I'm sure. Lots of glaciers, & beautiful place surrounded by MTs. I was there once in the summer with no wind & blue sky, & only needed a jacket, rare but it happens :) Rain,wind & cooler there, so they are moving to a new warmer climate. Not close the any ski resort though.

Seeing as the last time I visited was several Septembers ago and I stayed in my brother-in-laws 1980s vintage van with shag carpet in it and nearly froze to death . . . I'm very much looking forward to staying in a real house this time . . . but I'm actually planning to time things for the Summer Solstice.

They have a woodstove now . . . not sure if they will upgrade . . . I hope so . . . for their sake since they probably have no idea about how much it costs to heat a home with oil . . . especially with the prices you guys pay for petroleum products.

Personally, I kinda preferred the Wasilla/Willow area when I was there . . . went to the Iditarod Headquarters and did the tourist thing with the sled dogs and talked to the son of the man who started the races . . . seemed to me that the climate was a bit milder . . . as you say . . . in the Portage area the area can make its own weather . . . my sister tells me about massive snow storms followed by rain a day later and then sun and warmth a day later . . . very freaky . . . she also has had to wait several hours going/coming to work/home due to avalanches closing the road in the winter . . . hopefully she will not have to contend with many of those.

I suspect they may miss being so close to Alyeska . . . but they can always drive down and make a day of it.

firefighterjake said:
bogydave said:
firefighterjake said:
bogydave said:
mbcijim said:
bogydave" date="1320831612 said:
Click on "loop"

Cool trip I bet.

Seeing as the last time I visited was several Septembers ago and I stayed in my brother-in-laws 1980s vintage van with shag carpet in it and nearly froze to death . . . I'm very much looking forward to staying in a real house this time . . . but I'm actually planning to time things for the Summer Solstice.

They have a woodstove now . . . not sure if they will upgrade . . . I hope so . . . for their sake since they probably have no idea about how much it costs to heat a home with oil . . . especially with the prices you guys pay for petroleum products.

Personally, I kinda preferred the Wasilla/Willow area when I was there . . . went to the Iditarod Headquarters and did the tourist thing with the sled dogs and talked to the son of the man who started the races . . . seemed to me that the climate was a bit milder . . . as you say . . . in the Portage area the area can make its own weather . . . my sister tells me about massive snow storms followed by rain a day later and then sun and warmth a day later . . . very freaky . . . she also has had to wait several hours going/coming to work/home due to avalanches closing the road in the winter . . . hopefully she will not have to contend with many of those.

I suspect they may miss being so close to Alyeska . . . but they can always drive down and make a day of it.

Hopefully they house they have has NG for heat & hot water. Depends on their location, but pretty widespread NG, close to Palmer & Wasilla.
Let them know that Alaska is to come out with a new "energy upgrade reimbursement fund". Basically the same as 2010 one. They need to apply online to get on the list ASAP, up to $10K. I got my stove under the program a few years ago, energy efficient patio door, & 14" of insulation added to the attic. They paid for the initial audit & the closing audit & around 80% of the cost of the other stuff.
New appliance upgrade also qualify under the program. You spend up front then get reimbursed. Initial & closing audit required.
One of these site should get them in the right direction. Can also call to talk to someone to get more info in the program.
http://www.ahfc.us/energy/weatherization_rebates.cfm
https://www.akrebate.com/

Kings & Reds run thru June. August, silvers start running

bogydave said:
firefighterjake said:
bogydave said:
firefighterjake said:
bogydave said:
mbcijim" date="1320981295 said:
bogydave" date="1320831612 said:
Click on "loop"

Cool trip I bet.

Hopefully they house they have has NG for heat & hot water. Depends on their location, but pretty widespread NG, close to Palmer & Wasilla.
Let them know that Alaska is to come out with a new "energy upgrade reimbursement fund". Basically the same as 2010 one. They need to apply online to get on the list ASAP, up to $10K. I got my stove under the program a few years ago, energy efficient patio door, & 14" of insulation added to the attic. They paid for the initial audit & the closing audit & around 80% of the cost of the other stuff.
New appliance upgrade also qualify under the program. You spend up front then get reimbursed. Initial & closing audit required.
One of these site should get them in the right direction. Can also call to talk to someone to get more info in the program.
http://www.ahfc.us/energy/weatherization_rebates.cfm
https://www.akrebate.com/

Kings & Reds run thru June. August, silvers start running

Thanks . . . I'll pass on the info . . . they just bought a bunch of appliances for the place too.

Status
Not open for further replies.