Lower Auger Failure.... pain!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

onixblaze

Hearth Supporter
Dec 12, 2008
Southern NH
OK so here's the scenario...

Start the Englander 25-PDVC/55-SHP10 one cold night, after 8-10 hours per night usage for 2-4 weeks.... So just like all the previous nights. Next day was super cold so the fire stayed on for the day too... and the following night. The following morning, it ran out of pellets, like normal, except the system did not go into shutdown mode. This, of course happened AFTER we had all gone to work. So 4 to 6 hours later (approximated), the first person to come home, did not know what to do so she unplugged it from the wall, because it was making a very loud squealing sound every 10 seconds for 2-3 seconds in length... (that part sound familiar to anyone?)

Later that night, thinking everything was normal still, I started the fire like normal, settings at 5/5 for start up. A few hours later it will finally end up at 3HR and 4BS. We were instructed by the previous tenants of the house, that BS should always be 1 higher than HR. Where I have yet to read anything on here that makes it THAT simple to make sure you are getting the right amount of heat, are burning clean, and not potentially causing problems. Fire was going for about 6 hours total. During the first 3-4 hours, I thought I heard an occasional squealing noise. From the room we were in, it didn't sound very loud, and I thought it was just the fire roaring. After that though, it got louder. Like screeching loud, from a hardly noticeable one. Within minutes, me and the other guy in the house were hovering over the stove, trying to figure out the best course of action. We did not have to decide, because less than 10 minutes had gone by and we noticed the fire dying out. Upon looking inside, I noticed a lack of pellets being deposited into the burn pot. I quickly discovered almost a full hopper of pellets, and knew this was going to require a whole crap load of reading, searching, calling, and questioning.

14 hours I have spent, mostly at this computer, on this site, reading about problems, solutions, statistics, and opinions. The hour or two not spent here were spent looking over the components inside this stove. After 1 hour of waiting on hold with ESW tech support, it took all of 5 minutes for the guy to tell me what I didn't want to hear. I had been hoping for it to be just a build up in the auger, that I could scrape and clean, but as soon as I told the tech that the motor itself had no resistance when you grab it and try to turn it CW (facing the back open panel) with the auger, he told me it was the motor. He did not specify whether or not this could be repaired somehow, just that I should order a new one from his the company. Well, if someone knows if its possible for something like this to be repaired (with details given about it), please let me know as soon as you can! Would love to find a repair shop before noon, and maybe repaired before the shop closes. That would be ideal! OR equally ideal: Landlord pays for the new motor, along with overnight, Saturday delivery. Costing between $190-200 because they charge more for overnight if the next day is a Sat... bogus... PM me, email me, add me on msn... Whichever way you can that is fast and apt to reach me quicker. email/msn messenger [email protected] (hope email links are allowed here. SORRY if they are not!)

P.S.- I will be sure to take before and after pics of our cleaning/maintenance!

Status
Not open for further replies.