Lowes just raised price to $5.99

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

robalp

Mar 1, 2010
Hunterdon County NJ
Just got back from a trip to the depot, they only had a few bags of Prestos left, and the price went up to $3.96. When I inquired about the price increase, the woman told me that Lowes was up to $5.99. Since I was only able to get 10 bags (all they had left), I went over to Lowes, and sure enough, they were $5.99.
I then asked if they would price match the depot, and the manager told me no. He says they have been selling them for $0.40 a bag below cost, so I said, "now you are raising the price by more than 2 bucks a bag, so you are making a profit of 1.60 per bag. Not bad..." I didn't buy anymore pellets. I will have to check a few other depots in the area, and see what's around.

robalp said:
Just got back from a trip to the depot, they only had a few bags of Prestos left, and the price went up to $3.96. When I inquired about the price increase, the woman told me that Lowes was up to $5.99. Since I was only able to get 10 bags (all they had left), I went over to Lowes, and sure enough, they were $5.99.
I then asked if they would price match the depot, and the manager told me no. He says they have been selling them for $0.40 a bag below cost, so I said, "now you are raising the price by more than 2 bucks a bag, so you are making a profit of 1.60 per bag. Not bad..." I didn't buy anymore pellets. I will have to check a few other depots in the area, and see what's around.

Ah, and people jumped all over me for saying the the Lowes down here in SC was acting out of greed!!!!!!!!! Thanks robalp for reinforcing my opinion!

All peletts at Lowes $3.74 per bag till 3/11/11. Thats the sale sign. Just picked up another 20 bags. Even talked the Mgr. into buying ripped bags. Got 8 for $1.86 ea. Right now 2 different Lowes by me have Nations Choice, Clean Energy, and Presto Logs.

I am kicking myself, cause I was in yesterday, but was in a hurry. I will check a few of the other home depot's and lowes in the area. Frankly, the manager at the Lowes in Phillipsberg was a bit of a di... I am inclinded to stick with HD. Anyone have a good source for pellets in Hunterdon County?

Write to Lowes Corporate and complain that you were treated unfairly and the manager refused to honor Lowes' matching price plus 10%. Also ask him why other Lowes and HD's in the area are at $3.74. That's how I got mine down here that cheaply. Don't groan >>> don't get.

Yea, I just looked at lowes website, and it very clearly states the price matching policy. I think I will send a letter, it can't hurt.

Gee.........
Wasn't there a thread a few weeks ago when me, BTU , and Jake I believe let the cat outta the bag about price increases and we all got chit thrown in our face!!!!
This ain't the first time either! MayB you guys better LISTEN instead of BLAH, BLAH , BLAH about greed.

robalp said:
I am kicking myself, cause I was in yesterday, but was in a hurry. I will check a few of the other home depot's and lowes in the area. Frankly, the manager at the Lowes in Phillipsberg was a bit of a di... I am inclinded to stick with HD. Anyone have a good source for pellets in Hunterdon County?
HD and Lowes in Flemington??

I was at the Hd and Lowes in Phillipsberg. I will try Flemington tommorow, I will also pass by the Watchung Hd during the day...

Hamilton Lowes has 22 ton.

localLEE said:
Gee.........
Wasn't there a thread a few weeks ago when me, BTU , and Jake I believe let the cat outta the bag about price increases and we all got chit thrown in our face!!!!
This ain't the first time either! MayB you guys better LISTEN instead of BLAH, BLAH , BLAH about greed.

Warned them more than once even,

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/66289/#755966

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/68573/#785887

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/69717/#802684

With the bigbox once they get close to dumping the seasonal item's, You usually see a price reduction to move them. Not with pellets! We all rush to get our end of season fill. SO when they get close to nothing left, The price goes up to where they started the season. They know the last little bit will make them some profit for the season. Jack them up they will. Seen it the last 3 seasons so far. Do not buy them out of fear! Find a local pellet dealer that has them all season long. Prices don't get jacked up either!

localLEE said:
Gee.........

Hey I got my next year supply so I can groan AND know I'm warm next year at this year's price. The Lowes's manager that refused to honor HD's price just broke his own company's rules and will get his butt in a world of hurt over it for being GREEDY. %-P couldn't resist ;-P All in good fun.

tjnamtiw said:
localLEE said:
Gee.........

Hey I got my next year supply so I can groan AND know I'm warm next year at this year's price. The Lowes's manager that refused to honor HD's price just broke his own company's rules and will get his butt in a world of hurt over it for being GREEDY. %-P couldn't resist ;-P All in good fun.

That letter will get thrown in the trash and the manager will get a promotion for holding his ground ,,,,,, guaranteed! That letter is a waste of ink and paper.
The price match guarantee is for current incoming inventory prices not old stock.

localLEE said:
That letter will get thrown in the trash and the manager will get a promotion for holding his ground ,,,,,, guaranteed! That letter is a waste of ink and paper.
The price match guarantee is for current incoming inventory prices not old stock.

WRONG!!!! The day after I sent my email to Corporate, I got a call back from the local store manager wanting to assure me that I could have the same price being charged at the northern Lowes stores for his entire 8 tons of inventory and he would honor that for the next month.

Wrong!!!! He was also willing to honor the price match plus 10% to a local TSC for his entire EXISTING 8 tons although that wasn't as good a deal.

Not sure where you get your info but it sure doesn't apply to my store or corporate Lowes. Sorry. And how could the manager 'hold his ground' against his own company's policy which makes his company look like liars?????

A dollar sixty per bag profit???? Bastards! Watch them go pay the light bill or something stupid with all that extra cash

j-takeman said:
localLEE said:
Gee.........

With the bigbox once they get close to dumping the seasonal item's, You usually see a price reduction to move them. Not with pellets! We all rush to get our end of season fill. SO when they get close to nothing left, The price goes up to where they started the season. They know the last little bit will make them some profit for the season. Jack them up they will. Seen it the last 3 seasons so far. Do not buy them out of fear! Find a local pellet dealer that has them all season long. Prices don't get jacked up either!

You guys were right. I made a note of it as people to listen to for pellet pricing. Greene Teams for 4.18/bag still doesn't sound too bad to me though.

At what point to do think they will hit the lowest during 2011? Spring, summer, fall, winter?

People spend alot of time on this forum talking about the best deal possible they can get buying pellets. Go to this place and get the veteran's discount and the new mover discount etc., etc. These same people carp about stores acting out of "greed" and raising their prices. How is it not greed that motivates you to get the best deal you can get when you purchase your pellets? If these stores can raise their prices and are still able to sell pellets more power to them. If the consumer can wrangle the best deal on pellets, the more power to them as well. Don't complain about greed when it is your own greed that compels you to buy from a supplier that is selling below cost.

This is now the age of "Profit=Evil" If government can function on a deficit year after year and give folks free stuff, why cant Lowes? It's a tough thing being in retail. People actually hold it against retailers for making a profit. With a little snooping, anyone can find the dealer cost on a wood stove. I've had it done to me before. I've had customers walk in and say, "I know you pay $1798 for that Hearthstone" and they would be right, and they would offer me $100 above that. After I explain to them about shipping costs, they still cant fathom why a retailer NEEDS to make 500 bucks on a stove, or 1000 bucks on a stove, chimney, install. And some of these people seemed like they were smart.

solidus said:
People spend alot of time on this forum talking about the best deal possible they can get buying pellets. Go to this place and get the veteran's discount and the new mover discount etc., etc. These same people carp about stores acting out of "greed" and raising their prices. How is it not greed that motivates you to get the best deal you can get when you purchase your pellets? If these stores can raise their prices and are still able to sell pellets more power to them. If the consumer can wrangle the best deal on pellets, the more power to them as well. Don't complain about greed when it is your own greed that compels you to buy from a supplier that is selling below cost.

Buyers Greed=NO, But buyers Need=YES!

I need to save where I can to send the kid to collage. The main reason I bought the stove was to save money. I'll take advantage of every stinkin deal possible to do it too! Its called survival in my book. I price shop everything and clip coupons from the paper on food to gas. Stretchering the buck as far as possible is a necessity these days. Buying on a whim is something we really try to avoid as well!

Honestly wouldn't you do the same?

turbotech said:
j-takeman said:
localLEE said:
Gee.........

You guys were right. I made a note of it as people to listen to for pellet pricing. Greene Teams for 4.18/bag still doesn't sound too bad to me though.

At what point to do think they will hit the lowest during 2011? Spring, summer, fall, winter?

IMHO you've already seen it.
Its' been a long winter and it's only half over. I'm sure alot of people are going to run out.
Oil is going up .
Sawmill infrastructure is still declining rapidly. The last 6-8 months I've seen some really big ones go belly up. This infrastructure IS NOT being mothballed , it's being dismantled and scrapped.
The brutal winter we have had across the country is going to mean a long wet spring for mills already low on logs. This will equate to less available feedstock for pellet mills.
Sawlog prices are still in the crapper, even more now than last year which equates to less feedstock for pellet mills.
Nat gas is the only savior for low pellet prices. It's cheaper than dirt right now and from my sources in the industry should remain quite low unless oil takes a BIG jump . I don't think we'll see 2008 pricing again but I'll bet $240-$270 is not unrealistic.

There are some other big factors that are coming into play in the next 3-5 years that will affect pricing also.
IMO you'll never see $170/ton ever again on wood pellets.

That makes a lot of sense to me. I guess the current $187/ton isn't so bad. Maybe it is time to stash a few ton.

I honestly don't know how pellet mills are making it right now.
I've heard some mills are still paying $60/ton+ for raw material. If you figure 20-40% for product loss, moisture content, and drying , a mill is realistically paying $100/ton. Which leaves $87/ton for processing,transport, marketing, and a profit for HD or Lowes. $87/ton ain't deek chit to get all that done!

j-takeman said:
solidus said:

Buyers Greed=NO, But buyers Need=YES!

I need to save where I can to send the kid to collage. The main reason I bought the stove was to save money. I'll take advantage of every stinkin deal possible to do it too! Its called survival in my book. I price shop everything and clip coupons from the paper on food to gas. Stretchering the buck as far as possible is a necessity these days. Buying on a whim is something we really try to avoid as well!

Honestly wouldn't you do the same?

I think most of us do everything we can to save a buck. Im sure his point was that as desperate a consumer may be to save a dollar, a retailer is just as desperate to make a dollar and keep the expenses down...both for the same reasons :Survival

Status
Not open for further replies.