1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

LPG Boiler Placement

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by huffdawg, Feb 9, 2011.

1. huffdawg

huffdawg Minister of Fire

Loc:
    British Columbia Canada
    Just curiuos, does anyone have their LP boiler in the same boiler room as there woodfired boilers.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. heat4steve

heat4steve Member

Loc:
    Rochester Ny
    I have my LP boiler within 4 ft of the wood boiler. Here there is no code against doing so - at least my building inspector is fine with the setup. However my father inlaw is completely against because of the potential ignition source if there is a propane leak. To me either it is safe to use LP in the house or it is not since there are a multitude of other ignition sources (electric switches, lights, etc..). Obviously the two boilers cannot share a common chimney.
  3. in hot water

in hot water New Member

Loc:
    SW Missouri
    It depends also on the type of LP boiler. Sealed combustion boilers are best for several reasons. The burner is sealed and enclosed, no open flame and combustion air drawn from outside.

Sealed combustion also it eliminates the potential for all that airborne ash getting drawn into the LP boiler.

Since LP is heavier then air, an LP gas detector is required in some areas, if the boiler located in basements, or low areas. A LP along with a CO detector is always good insurance.

hr