lucked out

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

onetracker

Minister of Fire
Aug 11, 2011
rondout valley ny
hey gang -

i LOVE to hear stories about finding sources of free firewood.

i live next door to a logging yard (big woods buffer in between). the trees come in, get offloaded and then the ends are shaved off. they are labled and split-checkers banged into the ends. this means that there are hundreds of rounds laying in the yard of all different lengths. i spoke to the owner and he says i can take all i want as long as its already been cut. the vultures around here come in these monster trucks and take ALL of the stuff that's reasonable stove-length so i have to time it just right. i can usually scoop up about 4-5 cords/year of primo rounds before the greedy ones get there. but there is unlimited short stuff just lying there (4-8" 'long') they are more like gigantic coasters. so i built a crib in my basement and split them and throw them in a big pile and burn them in the fall months and also in the small woodstove in my wife's studio. i LOVE burning those chunks...it reminds me of stove-coal.

all the wood is oak, sugar maple, cherry, ash and walnut. this takes the pressure (and work) off managing my woodlot since i don't have to be constantly scrounging for and hauling every dead tree in the forest.

in 35+ years of burning wood, i think this is my best load ever. i've got 8 cords seasoned, one pile is 3.5 cords of shagbark hickory, white oak and black/honey locust, seasoned 2 full years. it's going to be a warm winter. now i'm gonna go git me a couple of pickup loads of them 'coasters' and burn them for october and novemeber.

be good fellas and be safe out there

OT

Welcome to the forum and that is a sweet deal you have going. Nothing wrong with cookies. They usually get me through the holidays every year.

Welcome to the forum onetracker. Sounds like you've been at this wood business for many moons now.

Sounds like you have a really nice setup for getting wood. Even those short ones. Also, two 8" logs end to end make one 16" log. One can also load the stove the other way and depending upon how the firebox is (rectangular?) they might pack in there very nicely.

Thats nice handling length there, on some prime hardwood. Congrats on the scrounge score.

Very sweet deal there and I like the sound of wood stove coal :)

thank you gents...

hey certified...are you happy with your huskee 22 ? is that the one sold thru tractor supply?

i borrowed a friends' old kelly 20-ish ton horizontal and it went thru EVERYTHING. i mean, it 'thought' about bogging down on a huge, green hickory crotch but then exploded thru it. and the cycle time was fast. this year i rented a big ol' splitter to get thru the big rounds from the logging yard. i got it all quartered in a day and then me and my son split it to stove-size. but it surely was nice having the splitter here full time to do an hour or two before dinner. i just don't have the $1-$1.5k for a splitter. however, i could justify it but acknowledging that i don't pay for firewood.

OT

OT,
Those short stubby pieces are great for n/s loading as Dennis eluded to depending on the firebox size. What are you burning them in? You may want to include your stove in your signature. Makes things easier.

Blue Vomit said:
OT,
Those short stubby pieces are great for n/s loading as Dennis eluded to depending on the firebox size. What are you burning them in? You may want to include your stove in your signature. Makes things easier.

i use the stubby's in all the stoves, but especially in the wife's studio.
thanks for the suggestion to add a signature. curious to see if it actually updated it.
blue vomit? now i KNOW there's a story there.

OT

Welcome
Great deal.
Like someone on here said " It's all BTU's"

Welcome to the forum 1 tracker! Man you're gonna fit right in with a nice score that you described! If I had that situation I'd buy a nice iron and oak splitter or similar, expensive but well made and in your case will pay for itself pretty quickly..

Good Luck!

Ray

I've never been a wood snob when it came to species, but I used to be a wood snob when it came to length until my wife pointed out that short pieces burn as well as longer pieces . . . you just may need to put more of them in the firebox . . . plus I figure if I'm taking the time to cut down a tree, deal with the brush, etc. I'm going to use as much of that tree as I can and not leave smaller pieces behind just because they're a few inches shorter than I normally cut. Now I tend to use these chunks (along with my punks and uglies) in the Fall and for camping.

onetracker said:
thank you gents...

hey certified...are you happy with your huskee 22 ? is that the one sold thru tractor supply?

i borrowed a friends' old kelly 20-ish ton horizontal and it went thru EVERYTHING. i mean, it 'thought' about bogging down on a huge, green hickory crotch but then exploded thru it. and the cycle time was fast. this year i rented a big ol' splitter to get thru the big rounds from the logging yard. i got it all quartered in a day and then me and my son split it to stove-size. but it surely was nice having the splitter here full time to do an hour or two before dinner. i just don't have the $1-$1.5k for a splitter. however, i could justify it but acknowledging that i don't pay for firewood.

OT

What you probably witnessed was a two stage pump. Our 20 ton has it and on the really tough stuff it will slow for just a few seconds and then speed right back up. Works nicely. Very few people really need those bigger tonnage splitters. The 20-22 ton will do nicely. Cycle time is also highly over-rated as you rarely would use the whole cycle anyway.

I know I am off subject but Dennis I like that new pic you're using in your posts! Great deer pics with good colors..

Ray

Thanks Ray. I wasn't to happy with it as it is so small that it doesn't do the picture justice, so I changed it back. Might change it again though.

Status
Not open for further replies.