M55 CI Out for Cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BradH70

Feeling the Heat
Feb 13, 2011
South West NH
I had my stove out for cleaning yesterday and thought that I would post some pics of the "rail extension" that I built. I have seen this subject come up in other threads so I hope someone can get some ideas on how to roll there stove out farther as well.

Attachments

• Stove-Cleaning1.jpg
    Stove-Cleaning1.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 565
  • Stove-Cleaning2.jpg
    Stove-Cleaning2.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 602
Wow, and I thought moving my stand alone M55 was a PITA.

Good job. Even with the rail, it must be hard sliding it around. the only thing that comes to mind is putting a solid board on top of the rail to make a wide platform that would allow you to move it in angled increments. and turn it so the back swings out a little more so you can have easier access. but i am not sure if that is what you are looking to do. good luck.

it would have taken me forever to think of something as ingenious as those rails.

Nice Brad. But does the stove's wheels dig into the soft wood? I use angle iron on top of my 2x4's and it is the perfect thickness to match up to the railing. Makes rolling it out extremely easy. As a matter of fact I have to put something towards the end of the angle iron so the stove doesn't roll off the edge by itself.

Attachments

• IMG_0539.jpg
    IMG_0539.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 267
vinny11950 said:
Wow, and I thought moving my stand alone M55 was a PITA.

Good job. Even with the rail, it must be hard sliding it around. the only thing that comes to mind is putting a solid board on top of the rail to make a wide platform that would allow you to move it in angled increments. and turn it so the back swings out a little more so you can have easier access. but i am not sure if that is what you are looking to do. good luck.

it would have taken me forever to think of something as ingenious as those rails.

Actually Vinny, it is easy enough getting behind to do whatever is needed just the way Brad shows the stove. No sliding around needed. We just roll it out, do whatever maintenance we need, then roll it back in. It sits on ball bearing wheels so, it is very easy to roll around as long as the surface it is rolling on is hard.

Fly, I always wondered how much of a hassle doing maintenance on an insert might be. Good thing they put wheels on it. good idea on the metal railings.

I see the exhaust motor is angle up. do they last just as long when positioned that way?

I bought the service rails, they look like a bed frame and the stove slides out easily!!! Will post pictures if I can remember where I put them.

flynfrfun said:
Nice Brad. But does the stove's wheels dig into the soft wood? I use angle iron on top of my 2x4's and it is the perfect thickness to match up to the railing. Makes rolling it out extremely easy. As a matter of fact I have to put something towards the end of the angle iron so the stove doesn't roll off the edge by itself.

Hi fly, no actually the wheels do not dig in to bad, only a tiny bit. It still rolls quite easy on the plywood and the plywood has just enough give that the stove will not roll back on its own.

And as you can see by my pics, I still have about a foot left before getting to the end of the extension. With it all the way out, I can sit on the hearth and clean the back of the stove with a vacuum.

The rail system was one reason why I went with the M55 over a Mt Vernon. As much as I wanted a Mt Vernon, I knew trying to slide one of these behemoths out without a rail system was going to be a pain. Nice setup Brad, sound like you are all set for easy maintenance. Sweet!

Status
Not open for further replies.