M55 convection fan humming

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

phile

Aug 11, 2018
northwest ohio
hey guys and gals, I've got an enviro M55 with an annoying fan. Running on #2 it hums turn it up to 3 and it quits for the most part. I got a new one last year under warranty. When I did the dealer said he could fix it, something about the bearing tends to slip. any thoughts before I tear it apart. any experience would be helpful. Other than that, this stove is great. Thanks in advance

Likely the bearings. I have to replace them every few years. There is a thread which has a good tutorial on bearing replacement in the M55 fan. My fan has just started the occasional whine; time for new bearings soon.

Did the Convection Blower Bearings on My M55-Cast Freestanding about a month ago.
This was after 8 solid seasons of being the primary heat in the old shack.

I used info from a few different message boards and posters.
Thanks to all who have posted this before.

If your interested......Here is how I did it.

Purchased 3 Replacement Shielded Bearings from McMaster-Carr. Trade # 608-2z for $5.06 each

Opened up the stove and pulled out the convection blower.
Separated the motor bracket from the cross member
Using a home brew penetrating solvent (50/50% Acetone/Auto Trans Fluid)I soaked the shaft setscrew for about 15 minutes. Using a long 2.5mm (IIRC) hex wrench, the setscrew popped and easily backed off a few turns.
Pulled motor off squirrel cage
Gently using a tweeker screwdriver I popped the dust cover off the inside bearing, exposing the cir-clip and two thrust washers.
Used a pair of long reach snap ring pliers I removed the cir-clip.
Pulled out the 2 thrust washers
Separated the motor cover/back/flywheel from the unit.
Using a 15" section of 1/4" round bar I had laying around I pushed out both bearings. One from each end.
Pressed both new bearings back into place.
Pulled the squirrel cage out of the rubber boot and pulled the bearing off the shaft. The shaft kind of pulled out with the bearing a bit but went back into place when I drove the new bearing onto the shaft. Fine tuned it from up inside with the 15" long round bar
Cleaned and re-assembled the blower unit.
Back to the stove....bolted the blower unit back into place and made up all the wiring connections.
Gave the stove a weekly cleaning.
Fired her up and declared success.
What a difference in the noise level.
It's amazing how loud the old bearings were compared to the new ones.

Hope this helps. Sorry no pictures

Scale of 1-10 on the difficulty meter puts this repair at about a 6.
Took about 2-1/2 hours total with a coffee break or 2.

---Nailer---