M55 install question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spencerdecoys

Feb 22, 2015
Maryland
hi all, first post here.
Just moved into a new to me house with a fire place. Wanted to put an insert in, decided on the enviro M55.

I was sold the maintance rail system, but when I uncrated the stove, it looks like it has its own system to slide out built into the stove, is this so?

Are there any videos of an m55 instert installation out there? Did a quick YouTube search, but didn't find anything.

I plan on installing tomorrow, I've had a million other things going on with the new house, so haven't had a great deal of time to check out the stove. Installed 450 sq ft of hardwood flooring today.
Thanks
Jeff

The stove slides out of the frame, and will roll on the floor on small bearing casters. The rail system is used where the hearth is elevated above the floor, otherwise the stove will tip and you would have to lift it out. Good luck with the install

Hi Spencer, welcome. Yes the stove has rails built in for service. The service rails lets you bring it out farther and get to the back of the unit easier. Like Bill mentioned too, if you have a raised hearth you normally wouldn't be able to reach the back so the extension of the rails and the variable height makes maintenance easier. Its a good investment. Good luck with your new home.

The unit sits into a rail/frame assembly that the surround is also attached to. Those rails do not extend when the unit rolls out, so it essentially rolls right out of the assembly (in fact, you do this to install the assembly first and then roll the unit back into it.) Unless you happen to have a smooth hard surface flush in front of the unit, the service rails are going to make things much easier. The unit is VERY heavy, and all that weight on four tiny metal wheels means the smallest bumps become wheel chocks. A piece of reasonably thick sheet metal also does the trick if you don't have a raised hearth.

Thanks all,
Once I sat down to concentrate on the pellet stove ( and read the directions) it all came together.
I see they recommend using a magnahelic gauge, I've never used one before, but I have access to one at work. What is the idea behind it? The Manuel says to insert in an 1/8" hole, do you then adjust the damper till you get a reading of 0.15-0.17?
Thanks

To the top right of the door there is a bolt you can remove that is just filling the test hole in the steel of the firebox. I have seen people take a reading from there in a number of different ways (it's not exactly a standard tap size) but I usually just hold the end of the silicone tubing from my manometer against the face of it, making sure there is a good seal. You should let it burn for 20-30 minutes on the highest setting to let the venting/draft warm up, then take the measurement (I suggest heat-protecting gloves.) The location is kind of annoying because of its awkward proximity to the door. Adjust the damper until you reach the 0.15-0.17 range while on the highest setting. This should give you the best draft conditions for an optimum burn.

You can also just eyeball the flame appearance to get in the general vicinity, if you're just trying to get rolling with it and want to calibrate more precisely later. Compare to what is in this video:

Remember to let it burn for a few minutes after you make adjustments to allow the flame to stabilize before judging the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.