M55c question and sky touch

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bc44

Oct 25, 2015
Boston
First year www to the M55c and we like it. We run on hi/low with sky touch 3301 amid try to set and forget it. I have two questions... I've been cleaning every 3-4 days burning okie firs and it seems fine, but should I be dumping the burn pot more frequently? Today I noticed significant build up on both sides of the pot? Also, when cleaning I noticed the video shows those two holes with the flaps next to the igniter being vacuumed. Mine have a screw and are tight. Should I be removing that screw each time?

Secondly, my remote does not pick up the room temp easily. My wall stat will say 76 and the remote, which is two feet from stove will say 71, so the stove is cranking. Has anyone seen this? It takes me waiving the remote directly in front of the blower to finally kick the temp in. My next call is to sky touch, but wanted to check that I wasn't doing something wrong with the pros first. Let me know what you think?

Thanks!

The two round flaps stay loose. No need to remove the screws, just release them a bit so the flaps can be turn up. The flaps give you access to the back panel where ash collects. Turn them back down when done cleaning. I had to fab a flex hose connected to my ash vac to get in there.

For the remote temp sensor, all I can say is check the manual and see if you have it on the wrong setting. Then try fresh batteries. If it still doesn't work, call the manufacturer, you may have a defective one.

Regarding the cleaning, I don't think you need to do anything more with the burn pot, and I also think you are cleaning more frequently than you need to, especially if burning Okie firs. I usually don't touch the stove for two to three weeks when burning a super low ash pellet like Vermonts or Okies. It gets a little furry inside, but still burns fine.

For the Sky Tech remote, I would try to temporarily place it next to your other thermostat for a while to see if you get the same temp reading. You don't get an even heat with a pellet stove, and the hot air convection currents and convection blower will bring cold drafts back to the stove. It may just be that it is cooler when you have it placed. I don't have my remote mounted, and usually keep it on a bookshelf in the corner of the room. Sometimes when I want to lower the heat, I will just move it down to a lower shelf, and when I am in the room I will usually keep it on the coffee table so I can bump it up or down as needed. You just may need to lower the heat setting to what "feels" right for the room where you are keeping it

Status
Not open for further replies.