Made my choice for new pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kykel

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Jan 4, 2009
long Island
After many visits to pellet stove stores and much research, especially here, I am choosing the Enviro M55 Cast FS. Its a beautiful looking stove. At 55,000 btus and a burn pot agitator I feel this was the right choice. I considered the Harmon xxv but its only rated at 1700 square ft as apposed to the M55 casts 2500 ft.That was confusing for me because the harmon is rated at 50,000 btus.The harman dealer said its based on the north east winters as opposed to down south. I saw each one burning and the M55 seemed to give off more heat. Its also a multi fuel although I cant find anything other than pellets and corn to burn. The price was $600 cheaper at $3200 but wasn't the deciding factor. Well I hope I made the right choice. Should have the stove up and running by late next week.

Thats a sweet stove... Is on my list for my "New Stove" next year..

Congrats on the purchase. Get ready for the addiction that follows....

Congrats man and don't forget the pics when it's installed!

Good luck with your new stove and with your future pellet "hunts". You have a really good stove. I hope you have the manule and have read it cover to cover before your stove is installed. If you don't have it yet, try going on line.
Enjoy!

Well my enviro m55 was delivered today. No time to Install tonight. Hope to have it up and running tomorrow. After reading many posts i'd like to thank everyone for all the good info. I took some advice and had the dealer pre burn the stove for me. Just wanted to mention that the box had a large sticker that read new convection blower so if anyone was wondering if they have made that change it appears they did.

P.S Not new to pellet stoves. Had a hudson river saranac for three winters. That will go to the basement.

kykel said:
Well my enviro m55 was delivered today. No time to Install tonight. Hope to have it up and running tomorrow. After reading many posts i'd like to thank everyone for all the good info. I took some advice and had the dealer pre burn the stove for me. Just wanted to mention that the box had a large sticker that read new convection blower so if anyone was wondering if they have made that change it appears they did.

P.S Not new to pellet stoves. Had a hudson river saranac for three winters. That will go to the basement.

Add the Saranac to your Sig also. Smokey the Bear has one aslo. Seems to really like it.

M-55 is a beautiful stove. Dont forget pics.

kykel said:
After many visits to pellet stove stores and much research, especially here, I am choosing the Enviro M55 Cast FS. Its a beautiful looking stove. At 55,000 btus and a burn pot agitator I feel this was the right choice. I considered the Harmon xxv but its only rated at 1700 square ft as apposed to the M55 casts 2500 ft.That was confusing for me because the harmon is rated at 50,000 btus.The harman dealer said its based on the north east winters as opposed to down south. I saw each one burning and the M55 seemed to give off more heat. Its also a multi fuel although I cant find anything other than pellets and corn to burn. The price was $600 cheaper at $3200 but wasn't the deciding factor. Well I hope I made the right choice. Should have the stove up and running by late next week.

The sqf ratings the companies are coming up with are sometimes rather inventive than anything real and sometimes suprisingly conservative. In the Northeast you usually go with 20-40 BTU/sqf that you need for your house (20 is the super insulated dream home, 30-40 the normal drafty home and even higher for old homes). Most companies make an average of 30 for their recommended sqf or give you the range right away.

Your M55 actually has an output of 42k BTU (according to your second post ?), so thats a rating of about 1400 sqf for the colder climates.

My BOSCA was advertised with 2500 sqf if I recall correctly, but than I was told that the highest feed rate of 5 can only be used for limited amount of times, so effectively I can run the thing only on 4/5 for 24/7 reducing my BTU outout to about 47k. ANd I would bet that was calculated/measured with top notch pellets...meaning in reality I have even less.

Thats all numbers games really...effectively I could not heat the whole house up last year as I wanted (2000 sqf would ask for 60k BTU output I dont have - fits my observation for the days going sub zero), this year we will see how much difference good pellets make on this experience.

Where they tend to over inflate them is with the gross BTU's per pound of fuel. Many use 8600 BTU's per pound or higher. In actuality its closer to 8000 BTU's per pound. Seems to be a number that gives a closer "net" BTU.

M55 has a 6.5 lb/hr rating. Again somewhat misleading. These stoves don't meter fuel by weight. In actuality they feed by volume. Some fuels could feed less(depending on size and density), Some fuels could feed more. So these variables effect the end result! Take them with a grain of salt unless your burning pure rocket fuel!

Well my Enviro m55 is up and running. Will show pictures when i figure it out. I get a message saying file is to big.

If you have Windows.. Right click on the file and then click Edit.. from there you csn resize. I find that 1200 x 900 works everytime. Have got some bigger through. But I dont bother.. There are other ways also. Like if you have a Photobucket account?

Took me awhile also. Once you get it, its like second nature

DexterDay said:
If you have Windows.. Right click on the file and then click Edit.. from there you csn resize. I find that 1200 x 900 works everytime. Have got some bigger through. But I dont bother.. There are other ways also. Like if you have a Photobucket account?

If you do it dex's way(sounds simple enough). Make a copy first so you don't resize the original if you want to keep it large. Unless there is a save as?

Congrats on your new stove. Cannot wait to see the pics

j-takeman said:
DexterDay said:

If you do it dex's way(sounds simple enough). Make a copy first so you don't resize the original if you want to keep it large. Unless there is a save as?

Oos. Forgot that part. I did forget the 1st couple times. I had to go back and "upsize" the resize.. Yes. Make a copy 1st. Then edot and resize. I dont name the photos I print at home. Photos for here have names and they are all copies. One day when I get proficient with a PC, I will start a photobucket account and be able to post photos the size of the screen. Although not needed, it would be nice to know how.

Also knowing how to post a "Link" yet having the link, the name I want it.. Dont know how to do that either.. Just a dumb hillbilly, I guess......

I right click on the folder but cant find a way to change size

Is there no "edit" when you right click? Should be.. Then again, I am not to savy?

right click- open with paint- resize using paint

thats how I do it with windows 7 anyway

DexterDay said:
Just a dumb hillbilly, I guess......

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

biting tonge, unwillingly...

smoke show said:
right click- open with paint- resize using paint

thats how I do it with windows 7 anyway

DexterDay said:
Just a dumb hillbilly, I guess......

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

biting tonge, unwillingly...

Ouch,................ ;-)

Say it... my 1st name is Kenis.... Yes its bad. Straight from Ky.. (Kee-nis) not (ken-is)

Status
Not open for further replies.