Made some firestarters the other day...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

karri0n

Hearth Supporter
Nov 18, 2008
Eastern CT
I purchased my wood this year, in late Novemeber, so it's quite wet. Every load sizzles, and I have quite a bit of trouble getting the fire started. once I have deep coals, I'm fine. I do all the tricks; drying by the stove, etc. I would love to have good, dry wood, but as of now, I just don't.

I have a big box of cardboard/newspapers/recycled paper products that I often use to start my kindling going, sometimes to good success, other times not so much. I decided to make some firestarters the other day. I took several sheets of newspaper, tied knots in them like I normally would, and then dipped them in my waste oil from the fryer. I did this with a few ripped up egg cartons(I LOVE how those burn, even without the oil) as well. I loaded up the wood, then made my kindling pile in the front. I use a bit of a top down/bottom up hybrid method for starting my fires. I put the newspaper down, put small kindling on top, and put that in front of the actual log stack in the stove. So the kindling and newspaper is built bottom up, but this is essentially on top of the wood. It starts as a bottom up, then turns into top down at the actual wood load. Not sure if I can explain that any better. Regardless, this lit up the whole load on the first shot with no intervention. A simple feat for most who have good dry wood, but for anyone who struggles with wood that is at best half way to seasoned, it's pretty impressive.

All in all, the starters worked great. They burned quite hot and for a good long time. They don't burn quite as long as a super cedar or Starterlogg, etc, but it sure saves a lot of money, and I know precisely what's going into my stove. If anyone really likes the convenience of firestarters but doesn't want to shell out the cash, this seems to be a cheap solution. Just lay down some newspaper when you make em, and at the end you have yourself one more starter when you roll it up, with no messy table/floor.

Hi.
For camping and "just in case" situations I have paper egg cartons filled with paraffin. I get twelve fire starters out of a dozen eggs spaces. Happy New Year! Best regards, kksalm.

I hope you are checking your chimney since you are burning green wood. If you can't find seasoned wood why not get some bio-bricks or something like that for this season?

Shari

Bio bricks don't seam to be much of a bargain with the lower cost of heating fuel these days. Of course cost is not the only reason to run a stove, but is something that I would take into consideration.

Shari said:
I hope you are checking your chimney since you are burning green wood. If you can't find seasoned wood why not get some bio-bricks or something like that for this season?

Shari

[more sarcasm]

Could always find stuff from around the house to burn as well... kitchen tables/chairs, bed frames, couches, picture frames, etc.

[/sarcasm]

CowboyAndy said:
Shari said:

Shari

[more sarcasm]

Could always find stuff from around the house to burn as well... kitchen tables/chairs, bed frames, couches, picture frames, etc.

[/sarcasm]

Andy,

Only if you enjoy inhaling all the toxins from burning varnished wood......

Shari

Some people automatically parse the [sarcasm] tag. It's just a vbulletin bug I think. :p

I do keep an eye on the chimney, and though I'm burning semi-green, I make sure to burn HOT. I've really not heard anything of much interest to me as far as the bio-bricks go. I shouldn't burn green, but I really don't have a means of getting anything better while the cold is still here, and <40° temps indoors get old pretty quick.

Shari said:
CowboyAndy said:
Shari said:

Shari

[more sarcasm]

[/sarcasm]

Andy,

Only if you enjoy inhaling all the toxins from burning varnished wood......

Shari

It's good for ya... whats the worst that could happen???

Adios Pantalones said:
Andy- got 2 B more obvious when you're being sarcastic.

Ya, I gotta work on that.

Poor impatient mans fire starter...

...find an empty atomizer bottle, the kind with a swivel spray, stream or off nozzle. Fill will diesel put it on stream DONE!

Diesel won't explode like gas, if you have a candle size flame you can actually put it out...anyway that's how we start our outdoor fires. Just make a hot spot the size of a softball then the fire takes care of itself.

Savage, it's funny you say that. I have an atomizer bottle sitting in the vicinity of my waste oil, and I had this very same idea only with WVO the other day when I was making these. I'd personally rather use WVO than diesel, even though the BTU content is about the same, the diesel smell bothers me and especially the wife/kids.

Waste oil may be too thick to spray....but I dunno. What ever you do never use gas in an atomizer the fire will draw back to you at the speed of light...almost.

Just say'en it's the waste oil smell that gets me yuk. Back in the early '70 before we were burning I helped a buddy cut wood, he used waste oil in his chain saws for bar oil ...very foul.

Guess I'm just an old-fashioned traditionalist (fuddy duddy) at heart . . . I do believe I'll stick with my newspaper and cedar kindling to get my fire going since it has worked pretty well up to this point.

I hear ya. The wife has tapped into some source of free, half burned candles. So after melting them down and making enough new candles to light a small stadium, she moved onto filling egg cartons, TP and paper towel rolls with a mixture of wax and saw dust. Then we ran out of those, so she just went with pouring the paraffin right on the sawdust and breaking that into chunks. I have fire starters out the wazoo! But usually, a few sticks and a couple sheets of newspaper is all it takes to get started!

Status
Not open for further replies.