Magee Ideal cookstove firebox repair

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Greenmason

Sep 8, 2023
Massachusetts
Customer has a magee ideal cookstove. Some cracking in the firebox. Is there a patch recommended to fix this? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

IMG_2446.jpegIMG_2447.jpeg

Refractory cement?

Reactions: Greenmason
coaly would be a better one for a recommendation, especially if casting a new piece is better.

Nothing special. I’ve had good luck with everything from furnace cement, refractory cement to Rutland Stove and Gasket in a tube. Any of it can chip away or flake off in time depending on thickness and adhesion. Main problem hing is scrub it to get it clean and follow directions of the product used. Imperial brand stove and gasket is the only one I have problems getting to adhere well.

Nothing special. I’ve had good luck with everything from furnace cement, refractory cement to Rutland Stove and Gasket in a tube. Any of it can chip away or flake off in time depending on thickness and adhesion. Main problem hing is scrub it to get it clean and follow directions of the product used. Imperial brand stove and gasket is the only one I have problems getting to adhere well.
Coaly one last question, can I scrub this down with just a homemade mix(water/vinegar/baking soda etc), or should i use a chemical cleaner. I have one, brand i forget, I recently used on a fireplace after a house fire, assuming thats overkill?

Anything to remove ash and dust.