Magic Heat Reclaimer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott2373

Nov 9, 2011
Williamson, New York
I'm sure in the past this topic was discussed ad nauseum, but since I'm a noob to the Forum, I missed it all. What is the deal with these Magic Heat Reclaimers? Are they worth the money? Effective? I have a double wall inside pipe that really doesn't emit much heat. Will these work with double wall if in fact they actually work at all? Thanks for chiming in on this one!

not a good idea onyour new epa stove it might strip to much and cause poor draft and can creat a creeosoot build up in the pipe. they work alot better on older non epa stove that send more heat up the stack.

Pook?

just type "magic heat" into the search box above labeled "Test-below searches titles only" if you want to catch up.

In short, I agree w/ stoveguy13.

pen

Thanks pen, I tried using the search prior to posting, figuring this was at one time, a "hot" topic, but didn't find any useful results. It seems like they were all over the board, no pun intended, heh heh

short version, stoves are for heating, pipes are for venting.

the heat going out your stack is a necessary evil so to speak. it keeps the flue drawing, and also helps keep it clean. adding a heat reclaimer to a stack reduces what gets into the flue and could cause an unwanted drop in stack temperature. with a higher efficiency epa unit yoiu are already getting more out of the stove and less up the stack so the reduction could be the difference between optimal burn and less so.

IMHO i wouldnt add one to an epa unit

With the EPA test requirements as they are, the modern stoves really are efficient as they were designed and are required to be. If a magic heat would help them, I guarantee each factory would be making their own version or selling stoves with one already.

Problem is they can reduces draft has they reduce heat from the flue. When they reduce draft the secondary air injection on your stove will not work as it was designed to and you very well could lose some efficiency there. Add that to the cooler chimney temps and potentially less clean burning, and you also increase your chance of creosote.

I vote save your money or spend it on the tons of other cool stove gadgets / tools that can be useful.

pen

That was easy; I've been dissuaded from pusuing these any further. Thanks to the lot of you! I knew there was a reason I've become addicted to this forum since I've discovered it!

And for the next person reading this thread thinking about one, read the manual for the thing about the drill you go through if the power fails to keep from toasting the fan and electrical stuff inside it. If you can plan your power outages for only when you are available I guess it wouldn't be too bad.

There is no electrical stuff inside. It's just a 2 speed fan with a snap disc for the temp sensor.

My Dad has one in his shop, has had it in there for years. When we can't have air movement, like when painting cars it gets unplugged. It's never melted down or didn't work after.

Glad to here it. All I said is read the manual.

9 out of 10 hearth members say they would not use a Magic Heat. The 10th member was voted off the island and has not been seen from since . . . although legend has it he was last seen working on his Magic Heat Sawdust and Cardboard Stove which he predicted would (and I quote), "Thez be the bestest ting ever goin too revoolootionairize werld . . . I predict Noble Prize for this invejction."

Was that the guy selling 'qtvereds' of wood?

I guess I am that one?

They are very common in garage/shop stoves in Northern Maine. Of course these are homebuilt or older bought stoves, no EPA stuff.

My Dad has never had a low draft issue on the stove in his shop. He had to put 2 dampers in the pipe actually because one wasn't enough. With the draft all the way open it's near impossible to light a fire because the match flame gets sucked out.

firefighterjake said:
9 out of 10 hearth members say they would not use a Magic Heat. The 10th member was voted off the island and has not been seen from since . . . although legend has it he was last seen working on his Magic Heat Sawdust and Cardboard Stove which he predicted would (and I quote), "Thez be the bestest ting ever goin too revoolootionairize werld . . . I predict Noble Prize for this invejction."

NATE379 said:
I guess I am that one?

They are very common in garage/shop stoves in Northern Maine. Of course these are homebuilt or older bought stoves, no EPA stuff.

My Dad has never had a low draft issue on the stove in his shop. He had to put 2 dampers in the pipe actually because one wasn't enough. With the draft all the way open it's near impossible to light a fire because the match flame gets sucked out.

firefighterjake said:

Nope . . . you're actually relatively normal for a Mainiac . . . and we can actually read and understand what you write. ;) :) We're keeping you on the tribe.

If you put two of those in your flue you can cool your house with the chimney exhaust in the summer.

[quote author="NATE379" date="1322817175"]There is no electrical stuff inside. It's just a 2 speed fan with a snap disc for the temp sensor.
OK, now I am really confused LMAO. How does the fan run if not electrical? Scratches head

Hogwildz said:
NATE379 said:
There is no electrical stuff inside. It's just a 2 speed fan with a snap disc for the temp sensor.
OK, now I am really confused LMAO. How does the fan run if not electrical? Scratches head

Magical Pookie Dust . . . much like Magical Pixie Dust . . . just looks a lot like sawdust. ;) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.