Magnehelic Gage Readings for Each Stove Type (w/Fuel brand)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

btanoue

Apr 24, 2011
CT
Hi,

I am wondering if we can start a thread (maybe this one)?

Model: Enviro Meridian FPI
Magnehelic Gage on High = .17 wc
Magnehelic Gage on Low = .15 wc
Fuel = Dry Creek 2011

This would give newbies a good way to figure out what their settings should be.
Also if you have a problem and need to debug, this would help.

Let me know if this makes sense or already exists.

btanoue

EDIT: Updated Magnehelic Gage reading on low. 12/30/2011
EDIT: Ran High on .11 wc as per manual, seem to get much more heat, but have to clean out burn pot after shutdown 12/31/2011

Harmans on a cold start up that I have checked run at about .6 unless they are totally clogged like the one I serviced yesterday, it was at .1 before cleaning

St Croix Lancaster .3 at start up
I dont think fuel type will affect this reading?

We need to determine where the the reading is taken from. Something like factory recommended test port, from vac line or if we want to get fancy, drilling a small hole in the venting 1 foot from the motor, to be later sealed with a tap screw. There are ways to determine the combustion motor based upon a new blower vs. used or a venting within EVL based upon this reading in the venting. HA HA!

You can also do a temp efficiency ready from this port in the venting as well. Lots of factors to consider.

smwilliamson said:
We need to determine where the the reading is taken from. Something like factory recommended test port, from vac line or if we want to get fancy, drilling a small hole in the venting 1 foot from the motor, to be later sealed with a tap screw. There are ways to determine the combustion motor based upon a new blower vs. used or a venting within EVL based upon this reading in the venting. HA HA!

You can also do a temp efficiency ready from this port in the venting as well. Lots of factors to consider.

Likely too many variables to make any meaningful conclusions......also, on many Magnahelics, -.6 is actually a firewalled reading, as the guage goes no higher than that....its kinda like taking the car on the turnpike, firewalling the gas pedal, maxxing the speedo at 125 mph, and thinking you are only going 125 mph......also, different stoves of the same model can exhibit different readings brand new, not to mention used. You also have to factor in the idiosynchracies of venting, "tightness" of the home, quality of gaskets, etc. I also dont think many stove users actually own a magnahelic. All these, and more variables, lead me to the conclusion that any readings would be quantitatively inconclusive, and probably exceedingly misleading.

The mag I use ranges from 0-1.0. The .5-.6 cold start reading is actual not firewalled. On the Harmans I use a mag reading as a base line before I do anything to the stove. After cleaning ect I recheck to see what the diff. is. With thew Harman there is no air shutter adjustment so just keep it clean and let it do its thing.

I'll update here as I change fuel brands. I set the draft by fire in the medium heat range. Basically I pulled the damper rod out until I saw the flame start to fluxuate. Then pushed the damper rod in until it was a steady fire. But still burned brisk. My stove spends most of its time on medium heat setting #3. It does cycle to low once the stat is meet for 30 minutes and then shuts down. The early burns I didn't note low fire setting. But I will check it if I catch it burning on low fire.

Model: Enviro Omega

Magnehelic Gage on High = n/a
Magnehelic Gage on Med = .145 wc
Magnehelic Gage on Low = n/a
Fuel = Greene Team

Magnehelic Gage on Med = .15 wc
Magnehelic Gage on Low = n/a
Fuel = Power House

Magnehelic Gage on Med = .14 wc
Magnehelic Gage on Low =
Fuel = Geneva

Magnehelic Gage on Med =
Magnehelic Gage on Low =
Fuel = Platinum Fire(next to burn)

Interesting thread. I have yet to get my hands on a mag, but I'm pretty sure it would be a high reading. I have an excessive EVL vent as jtakeman knows already. I tried to take off the 4' vertical run I have outside, the fire goes out on the low setting. My manual said to shut the slider damper, which I tried to do with no luck. Could it be stuck? That is my guess. Do any of you know how I could free it up?

I also have an excessive EVL on my stove - 3-90L with a 3" line. My mag readings are .66 on high and .44 on low (cold stove). Top end of Harman's recommendation in manual. Had to adjust the low down some as it was actually higher then that when the stove was installed. I use the test port that comes with the Harman. I have also tested it while in operation and get just about the same readings.

Actually it would be nice it htere were a "How to" on Mag gauges for those who dont know.

Status
Not open for further replies.