Magnetic (electric) thermometer for exterior of woodstove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Shari

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 31, 2008
Wisconsin
I have a magnetic (electric) thermometer for the exterior surface of my woodstove. The thermometer was built 13 or so years ago by a member of Hearth.com and has served me very well all these years. I was doing some cleaning and moved it around and also removed the magnet from the woodstove. After dusting it off, it gave me an "EEEE" error and beeped at me. I pushed the red reset button which appears to have cleared the error message.

I am thinking I should start looking into a replacement for this thermometer but not sure where to look nor what to get.

I do recall we had a problem getting this to 'read' correctly. It was apparently because of the non-flat surface of the top of my blue-black Oslo. We tried out a different magnet which solved the problem.

Here are a few pictures of what I have. Any suggestions on replacing or maintenance would be appreciated!

Shari

stove_1a.jpg Stove_2a.jpg Stove_3a.jpg Stove_4a.jpg

Last edited:
It might be ok if still working. Or the thermocouple wiring may have developed a break or short which could be intermittent. If wiggling the thermocouple wire causes the EEEE error then replacing the thermocouple may need replacing.

For a new thermometer, many people including myself have the Auber Digital thermometer, but first, verify that the unit is not repairable.

BG: Okay, still getting the "EEEE" error. By your statement of thermocouple, do you mean just the braided wire or something internal? Electrical repairs are not my forte. :)

BG: Okay, still getting the "EEEE" error. By your statement of thermocouple, do you mean just the braided wire or something internal? Electrical repairs are not my forte. :)
Replying to myself: I think the problem is at the magnet end of the braided wire. Can I just cut that wire and put a new fitting on it?

I think it would be better to replace the thermocouple assembly. They are not expensive. It needs one with a washer end.

Or, you could put a simple dial thermometer in that location. I just tested a ReoTemp thermometer and am pleased with the results.