Magnetic thermometers on soapstone?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike592

Jul 22, 2013
SW Ohio
I'm just wondering if people are using magnetic thermometers like the Condar inferno on their Soapstone stoves? The manual for my Hearthstone Heritage says to measure in the middle of the stove top. But that's not magnetic. Ok to just sit it there? What do other folks do?

I'm just wondering if people are using magnetic thermometers like the Condar inferno on their Soapstone stoves? The manual for my Hearthstone Heritage says to measure in the middle of the stove top. But that's not magnetic. Ok to just sit it there? What do other folks do?
They are magnetic because most stoves are steel tops. But you can use them fine on soapstone. It may slide around a bit, but that's okay. You will want to find the hottest spot on the top to leave it. There can be quite a variation. An infrared thermometer is useful for that if you're so inclined. Maybe you could put a small spot of high temp silicone or something to hold it in place.

And the Condar Inferno seems to be the favorite surface thermometer used by people here, FWIW.

No, they won't slide around a bit. They will happily sit right where you place them.

We have a soapstone stove and have a condar thermometer on the stove top and another on the flue pipe. And yes, they are both magnetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.